Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoBoost Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EcoBoost Overheating

I posted this on another forum but I have not herd from anyone who has had this problem and found a solution. I had a problem with my first long tow. This truck tows like a diesel. It does not need to rev. I am in az the temp was about 98 degrees and I was pulling a long 6% grade in tow haul mode. My RV is 6200lbs empty. I had it weighed. Loaded it is less than 8,000 lbs. I was not paying to much attention to the guages as the truck was not working hard to pull the load. But about 3/4 of the way up the hill the truck gave me a warning saying it was reducing power to reduce engine heat. It cooled down and on the next hill I watched the temp guage. When I got to about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle the temp guage started moving up FAST very FAST. I was amazed. I backed of a little bit on the throttle and the temp started to come down slowly. Again the motor did not seem to be working hard. RPM's running 2200-3500. I believe the turbos are putting a lot of heat in the motor. I wonder if the cac needs to be bigger or a fan put on it. Ford says they are unaware of any heating issues. The dealer contacted their Ford enginering advisor. He has no knowlage of this issue. Anyone else experincing this?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 AM

I took it in to the dealer and no codes were found and the fans were working on hi and low speeds. I was using premium gas and the I actually weighed my rv so I know it is 6200 lbs with propane and batteries. It has a 40 gal water tank which I do not fill. I do not have Max Trailer Tow but I have Break control, 3.73 and tow package which includes max cool radiator the same as the MTT package. I had the dealer verify this. So not missing anything there. They want me to take a flight recorder next trip and press the record button when the issue starts.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

keep us posted, i would like to here what the deal is as i will be looking to buy one soon!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I have almost the same setup as you and my 27'tt weight is 8000# . I can run it wide open up huge hills for several minutes and engine and tranny temps hardly budge. Very good cooling.
I think you have a cooling problem that needs correction.
Mines all factory FX4 Max tow pkg.

Last edited by dcfluid; 09-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say you might have picked up a plastic bag or some other sort of wind blown debris that stuck to your cac and as soon as you slowed it fell off leaving no traces of blockage. People overheat for this kind of thing all the time. It also would bring your temp back down as soon as you came out of the boost. I would try and duplicate it, bet it won't happen next time your pulling.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

You said "But about 3/4 of the way up the hill the truck gave me a warning...". How far was that 3/4 way up the hill? I'm curious since others say they never experience this, but maybe you are talking about a 10 mile climb and they are talking about a 1 mile climb.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford850
You said "But about 3/4 of the way up the hill the truck gave me a warning...". How far was that 3/4 way up the hill? I'm curious since others say they never experience this, but maybe you are talking about a 10 mile climb and they are talking about a 1 mile climb.
Coquihalla hwy 5 and 5c in BC. Hot weather and extremely long steep climbs at 110kph freeway speeds. Easy 15 minute climbs there. No problem.
This highway is notorious for cooking big rigs and vehicles with any weekness. Not to mention sucking back fuel.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedXLT
I'd say you might have picked up a plastic bag or some other sort of wind blown debris that stuck to your cac and as soon as you slowed it fell off leaving no traces of blockage. People overheat for this kind of thing all the time. It also would bring your temp back down as soon as you came out of the boost. I would try and duplicate it, bet it won't happen next time your pulling.
This sounds very plausible

Easy to check to see if the problem recurs. I had the downshift cutting out issue on my EB only when it was 100 degrees too Though I didnt get any overheating messages (Its never happened again).
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ford850
Sunset Point N of Phoenix. Maybe a 2 mile climb, just guessing though.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

shelby-gt-500 did you post on a nother site? i seen a post about this on F150online.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Overheating