Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL disable

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRL disable

well i know the dealer can do it, but no where in my area will do it for me. (BC Canada)

Is there a way i can wire something up to cancel them out? either put it on a switch or some sort of resistor that will knock out the 6v and only let power pass through at 12v.... ?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Zener diode
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by coyotefiveoh
well i know the dealer can do it, but no where in my area will do it for me. (BC Canada)

Is there a way i can wire something up to cancel them out? either put it on a switch or some sort of resistor that will knock out the 6v and only let power pass through at 12v.... ?
That's because it's illegal to drive in Canada with DRL.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sure there's a way but as a fellow BC'er you might want to save yourself the hassle from cops and just keep them, they don't look that bad
Old 09-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I built a cct that replaces the DRLs from firing the headlights, to instead light up an LED strip under the headlights, the strp was from Putco, part 270140 I think.

Basically, I opened the headlight line, to a 2 pole relay, tapped into the fog light line (at the SJB) to power the relay coil. To turn the headlights on, you turn on the fogs. Otherwise, they are never on.

I have the LED strip wired to the headlight line, through another replay- the DRLs operate a chopper cct, off-on many times a second thus reducing the voltage. A relay coil from this, with a capacitor to reduce the chop, 12V in, LED strip out, operates the strip fully on, when in drive or when headlights are on.

I tried the Zener, found the voltage swings from 8V to 10V so I had a hard time fine tuning that.

S
Old 09-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by coyotefiveoh

They don't because, as it's been said, it's illegal. DRL are mandatory, I believe across Canada?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdinCanada
They don't because, as it's been said, it's illegal. DRL are mandatory, I believe across Canada?
DRLs can be many forms, including lighting the turn signal filament in the signal housing. Does not have to be the headlight. Add on lights can act as DRLs.

Here is the thread for the bypass I built.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/daytim...ircuit-219692/

I am also just now in fact! soldering up a fog light turn-on switch, what some call the Bambi switch. Switch, to turn JUST the fogs on, but also turns on the fogs with the headlight switch like normal.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 PM

im not looking for nay-sayers telling me its illegal. Im looking for ways to get around the DRL without having to use an IDS. There are tons of things just about everyone does thats illegal and never think twice about it. No cop around here is gonna pull you over for not having daytime running lights. I am putting in the LED headlights and do not want them to be running at 6v. I am smart enough to just turn on the switch, but i know my girlfriend wont always remember and i dont want to wreck the lights as they say they are not DRL compatible.

thanks sean and lemartin ill look into both those options!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM

i cannot view your pictures....

Can i just splice in a Zener diode inline with the low beam wire?? Or do i need other stuff and make it work as a team?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Default DRL disable

Ah yes I remember platinum's wiring, myself in Canada I had them turned off without a problem, also used led strips as my drl. I found a private shop that had no issue with my request.

Quick Reply: DRL disable