Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone else hate Nav System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone else hate Nav System?

Im so tempted to remove the nav unit from this truck and put in a tablet PC. but its killing me because EVERYTHING is integrated into the touch screen (climate radio etc) and of course i cant lose all that.. is there anyways to make this navigation work "better?" ie, some sort of update or "something" right now it takes me long way around, doesnt calculate times right at all, cant find several addresses ive tried and the POI list is useless. oh not to mention the other day i needed to put in GPS co-ordinates.. nope.. cant do that. for a truck with an off road package that seems scandalous. haha. my sucker cup tom tom from wal-mart is honestly better. but the travel link stuff is nice, so its a damn if you do damn if you dont.. any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love my TOM TOM
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorpsports-X
Im so tempted to remove the nav unit from this truck and put in a tablet PC. but its killing me because EVERYTHING is integrated into the touch screen (climate radio etc) and of course i cant lose all that.. is there anyways to make this navigation work "better?" ie, some sort of update or "something" right now it takes me long way around, doesnt calculate times right at all, cant find several addresses ive tried and the POI list is useless. oh not to mention the other day i needed to put in GPS co-ordinates.. nope.. cant do that. for a truck with an off road package that seems scandalous. haha. my sucker cup tom tom from wal-mart is honestly better. but the travel link stuff is nice, so its a damn if you do damn if you dont.. any ideas on how to fix it?
I felt the same way about the nav in my 2010 Ford Fusion, which is why I didn't get the Nav for my 2013 Lariat. I'll just use my Droid and Google Maps when I need Nav. But I like how you think concerning using a tablet. A tablet tethered to my phone would be leaps and bounds above Ford Sync!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I'll build you an iPad stealth-mount!! lol
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Someone was saying that the $199 map update does more than just update the maps but adds new and improved features. I can't confirm that since I haven't purchased it as it seems high to me.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 PM
HMFIC

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. I found the navigation seriously lacking when using a destination address for route guidance. I seriously considered carrying a spare Garmin just for that reason.

But on the other hand I did love having that big touch screen to display a big map right in the dash. And also for displaying radio and iPod info.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could care less about the nav at this point. i will just be using my tom tom and wont be buying any upgrades.. (their fault for putting out a crap product) but its the other touch screen features that stop me from changing it over to a tablet. i mean even with the radio buttons and climate control manual buttons you still have to have the screen to see what your doing, so unless someone can make a tablet do ALL the same stuff, its not gonna happen.

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

You should try a few more OEM systems, this one leads the way. In last 5 years I've had em in Mercedes, Toyota and Jeep and although the Jeep one had some cool features ( like syncing multiple phones) the Nav in this truck is pretty good.

Does it show me where my house is? Nope. House/neighborhood is too new. Distance to destination I've found to be accurate ( it can only estimate in the city, so highway is spot on). Scores, weather map, forecast, voice commands, playlists, etc all work well for me.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonRider
You should try a few more OEM systems, this one leads the way. In last 5 years I've had em in Mercedes, Toyota and Jeep and although the Jeep one had some cool features ( like syncing multiple phones) the Nav in this truck is pretty good.

Does it show me where my house is? Nope. House/neighborhood is too new. Distance to destination I've found to be accurate ( it can only estimate in the city, so highway is spot on). Scores, weather map, forecast, voice commands, playlists, etc all work well for me.
I'd have to agree. My girlfriend has a 2011 Mercedes GL450 and the nav is rediculous. You need a college degree to work it and when you get it worked, it still don't work. I have no problems with my nav, actually enjoy it and find it very accurate and well formatted. I picked up my 2012 lariat Friday after my 2011 lariat was totaled. The 2011 didn't have nav and I love having it in the new truck.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the map update didn't notice any new features..

Quick Reply: does anyone else hate Nav System?