Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dealership Issue

I'm having some issues with a dealership in the DFW area, and I'm not really sure how to proceed. A little over a month ago my engine on my 2013 EcoBoost flooded. As a result, insurance stepped in and took care of the replacement cost of the engine. The dealership in question had my truck for over a month to replace the engine. During this time a bad hail storm came through the area and caused a lot of damage. The next day I called the dealership to check on my truck, and was assured that it was fine since they didn't really have any damage and my truck was in the shop.

Last Saturday, 4/16, I received a call that my truck was ready. They pulled the truck up and I immediately noticed that there was hail damage on my truck. I went and grabbed my service adviser, and he then proceeded to tell me that their insurance would not cover it, and that the service manager was out until Monday so I could call then to speak with him. (When the truck was originally brought into the dealership, no paperwork was signed waiving their liability.)

Leaving the dealership, the truck felt sluggish and would shake a little when stopped. I also notice the rpms jumping around a little when at a stop as well.

Sunday 4/17, I had not quite put 100 miles on the truck and it started shaking uncontrollably and threw over heating warnings. Pulled over as soon as possible and called a tow truck. Took it back to the same Ford dealer and they said no damage occurred (which seems unlikely to me with all of that heat) and it was just a fitting near one of the turbos that was loose.

Picked it up yesterday and the service adviser once again asked if the manager had called to discuss the hail issue with me. He still hasn't up until this post.

The truck still runs like crap, maybe worse than it did when I picked it up originally. At this point, I'm tired of paying $50 a day for a rental to have this issue diagnoses and deal with a dealership that seems to say one thing and do another. I'm not sure where else to go before contacting the BBB.
Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

Last edited by BenCronin04; 04-21-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

they didn't help my situation nor return my calls but the next best thing is a regional rep or corporate. ask for the service manager and speak face to face, discuss the issues you're having and see what they can do. if nothing, ask for their manager or regional rep direct phone number.

sounds like you're just going to have to push them OR go to another dealership for service. have you called your insurance to see if they do cover hail damage? tell them the whole situation.

https://corporate.ford.com/contact-us.html
Old 04-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Might have to contact the regional, but wanted to see if a Ford Rep here could help as well before going that route.

Originally Posted by yanki01
have you called your insurance to see if they do cover hail damage? tell them the whole situation.
I did and ultimately they will, however they said the dealership should take care of it since it was in their possession. Secondly, I don't feel it's my responsibility to pay the $500 deductible as they were in possession of my truck. I have a rental due to this entire situation. It also received hail damage. I'm having to pay to get that fixed because I was in possession of their vehicle at the time it was damaged.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I used to be an insurance adjuster and unfortunately shops and dealers like that will not cover something like that. It is looked at by them and insurance as if you left it at a friends house and in their possession. It was still an act of God occurrence regardless of who was in possession of it and 9 times out of 10 in most states, insurance follows the vehicle first and then the driver if there isn't enough to cover it.

If it were me, I'd ask them to pay the deductible and file it with insurance. It will be less headache that way.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
I used to be an insurance adjuster and unfortunately shops and dealers like that will not cover something like that. It is looked at by them and insurance as if you left it at a friends house and in their possession. It was still an act of God occurrence regardless of who was in possession of it and 9 times out of 10 in most states, insurance follows the vehicle first and then the driver if there isn't enough to cover it.

If it were me, I'd ask them to pay the deductible and file it with insurance. It will be less headache that way.
Agreed on the last point and I'm even willing to compromise on that. But to your first point, why am I having to pay for the rental's hail damage then?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCronin04
Agreed on the last point and I'm even willing to compromise on that. But to your first point, why am I having to pay for the rental's hail damage then?
Because unfortunately rental's have their own set of laws and rules that you sign in that lease agreement that make that "your car" during the ownership of it. Yet another reason to make sure you pop for the insurance coverage on them. I always do.

In Texas, ANY damage that happens to a rental in your possession is a Collision just as if you damaged someone elses car, regardless of the type of damage done. Replacing a windshield on a rental car in TX is a claim against you as if you caused an accident.

I'm certainly not agreeing with or saying it makes sense, but rental car companies cover their butts on that part of it.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Because unfortunately rental's have their own set of laws and rules that you sign in that lease agreement that make that "your car" during the ownership of it. Yet another reason to make sure you pop for the insurance coverage on them. I always do.

In Texas, ANY damage that happens to a rental in your possession is a Collision just as if you damaged someone elses car, regardless of the type of damage done. Replacing a windshield on a rental car in TX is a claim against you as if you caused an accident.

I'm certainly not agreeing with or saying it makes sense, but rental car companies cover their butts on that part of it.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:03 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

I had my truck at a body shop for repair to body panels and repainting, and once they were all done there was a wind storm and it blew some debris into the truck and scratched it up.

They repainted it without any issues. Isn't this a similar situation?

Are you telling me if they refused to repaint my truck it would be my bill? that doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply: Dealership Issue