Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Rear Suspension, 3-Link, 4-Link ect (show me yours)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 721 Likes on 494 Posts

Default Custom Rear Suspension, 3-Link, 4-Link ect (show me yours)

I've been debating building a custom 3-link rear suspension for my truck since I bought it new in 2014 and I think this year I might finally bite the bullet and do it, I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone else on here has built or installed a custom rear suspension setup on a 09-14 F150 or has seen one on another forum that they could link me to. In my searches it seems that not many people are doing any custom suspension work on the 09-14 trucks but maybe I missed something. I'd just like see how others dealt with some of the challenges involved, compare my own ideas, and see if there any setups in particular that worked really well or ran into unexpected problems.

My main reasons for wanting to go with a custom 3-link are to add roll center and anti-squat adjustments, and improve ride quality, and eliminate wheel hop all while not losing any ground clearance. Plus I just bought the new TIG welder I've been eyeing for the last 7 years so I'm ready to play lol.

I'm thinking of buying a used 9.75" rear to mock things up on outside of the truck, but it's hard to justify spending $700 on a used rear from LKQ just to use it for fab and mock up off the truck, hopeful one will show up in the local salvage yards where they cost less than $100.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know if you'll really see much benefit unless you're planning on entering KOH or something, but good luck. I don't think I've ever seen a rear 3 link suspension. I'm not sure it would work in the rear. 3 link setups are generally used in the front with a track bar. For the rear you'd want a 4 link setup. Double triangulated would be the best, but you would at least need to triangulate the upper arms or you'll need a rear track bar.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Symmetrical and Asymmetrical 3-link rear suspensions have been used successfully for many years. 4 link/ladder bar setups are more frequently used for drag race applications, but an asymmetrical 3 link with panhard bar/watts link are fantastic for keeping a vehicle planted through the twisties. Triangulating the trailing arms is the least preferred method for controlling side to side axle movement because now you're asking the arms to do two jobs instead of 1. That's why Ford finally smartened up in ~2005 and switched the Mustang over from the same triangulated 4-link to an asymmetrical 3 link with panhard bar.

Not an f-150 (let alone 09-14) but HERE is the setup I designed and fabricated for an older Ranger that tore it up on the road course. You should be able to take away some ideas from the overall design. The drivetrain in that truck was previously in a similar weight mustang with a road race suspension (modified mcpherson struts in front and a torque arm/panhard bar rear) and the truck averaged a minimum of 5 seconds faster around the local track.
Hope this helps in any way.
Regards,
-Matt

Last edited by Matt'sdrag95; 03-14-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 721 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt'sdrag95
Symmetrical and Asymmetrical 3-link rear suspensions have been used successfully for many years. 4 link/ladder bar setups are more frequently used for drag race applications, but an asymmetrical 3 link with panhard bar/watts link are fantastic for keeping a vehicle planted through the twisties. Triangulating the trailing arms is the least preferred method for controlling side to side axle movement because now you're asking the arms to do two jobs instead of 1. That's why Ford finally smartened up in ~2005 and switched the Mustang over from the same triangulated 4-link to an asymmetrical 3 link with panhard bar.

Not an f-150 (let alone 09-14) but HERE is the setup I designed and fabricated for an older Ranger that tore it up on the road course. You should be able to take away some ideas from the overall design. The drivetrain in that truck was previously in a similar weight mustang with a road race suspension (modified mcpherson struts in front and a torque arm/panhard bar rear) and the truck averaged a minimum of 5 seconds faster around the local track.
Hope this helps in any way.
Regards,
-Matt
That's a nice looking Ranger, thanks for the link. I used to own a 99 Mustang so I'm very familiar with how bad a triangulated 4 link can be, you are 100% right in saying that triangulating the arms is a bad idea because just like using leaf springs it makes too many compromises. Due to space constraints I was thinking a symmetrical 3 link with a panhard bar would be the best way to go, an asymmetrical 3 link would be nice but I'd rather not chop up my Corsa exhaust for clearance to offset the upper link and with the long wheelbase of the truck I don't think I'd get any perceivable torque steer with a symmetrical setup at the power levels I plan on being at. My truck will mainly be street driven so I want to maintain good articulation and road manners, and as you said I think a 3 link will serve me best.

Quick Reply: Custom Rear Suspension, 3-Link, 4-Link ect (show me yours)