Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk noise coming from rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Clunk noise coming from rear?

I have a noise that I am pretty sure is coming from the left rear suspension. It happens sometimes when I hit a pothole or backing up from my driveway as the suspension flexes when getting of the apron. It even happened sometimes while turning at an intersection at speed 18-30mph. It's intermittent, I took it to the dealer twice but they could not replicate it even with chassis ears and they said that the shop foreman would go with me on a test drive to hear the noise but I haven't found a place near the dealer where I could replicate the noise every time.

I have an AS 1.5" level in the front but all stock in the back. I am running a 275/65/20 Goodyear duratracs. I thought maybe the the leaf spring shackle bolt could of been loose when I installed the mounting hangers for my dual exhaust in the rear so I tighten the bolt with a breaker bar and went for a test drive and it still made the noise. I don't know what to check everything looks ok from underneath. I tried to shake the truck from side to side while it is parked on level ground and it doesn't make the noise. I tried jumping around in the bed and it doesn't make the noise. I tried to backup the rear left wheel on a ramp to flex the suspension and jumped in the bed and wiggle from side to side and it didn't make the noise. I don't know what to try next, could the noise be coming from the 2 piece drive shaft? It doesn't sound like a driveshaft noise. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to jack up the truck and leave the wheel hanging in the air and maybe check if the leafsprings are loose that way? I attached some pictures but to me, everything looks normal.
Attached Thumbnails Clunk noise coming from rear?-20170402_141450.jpg   Clunk noise coming from rear?-20170402_141504.jpg   Clunk noise coming from rear?-20170402_141519.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does the same when backing out of my driveway. Haven't had a chance to get under it and check it out.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 AM

I noticed that the noise also happens when the front wheels pull up into an entrance, I am not sure if it's the rear suspension flexing causing the noise or the noise is actually coming from the front. It's so hard to tell. I think I will remove my auto spring 1.5" leveling kit to see if it's loose. The only thing I can think of when I installed it 2 years ago, was that there was no way for me to tighten the strut bolts really tight since the way the auto spring is designed you can't fit a socket on the strut bolts, you can only use an open ended wrench as you can see in the pic below. If I would of had a crow foot I get guess I could of torque it with a torque wrench but I didn't have one. At the time, I also didn't think of holding the top of the strut with a pry bar between the bolts while tightening the leveling kit bolts. It just sucks because I will need another alignment once I put it together even if that wasn't the problem but it's the only way to find out I guess.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM

So i just got around to removing both struts to tighten the leveling kit bolts. I was able to tighten the bolts some using a prybar and I put it all back together and went for a drive. The noise is still there. I am almost certain it's coming from the rear. I don't know what to do next, take apart the rear brakes to verify them?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Try lubing the gate
Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Try lubing the gate
Lubing the tailgate? At the hinges?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here. Sometimes the noise sound like it's coming from the front, other times from the rear. Made a video of the noise before I took it into the dealer. They said they have no clue. Everything is stock on my 2014.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyh55
Lubing the tailgate? At the hinges?
There have been a couple threads here where that turned out to be the noise. Seems impossible....
Old 09-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

this might be the issue..

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/what-part-28799/
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This may sound stupid. But I heard an awful noise coming from the rear end as well. Only happens every so often, bumps and turns. I came to the conclusion it was my hitch receiver. Try shaking it and see if it replicates the same noise.