Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control issue after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control issue after battery change

So I changed my battery today and now there’s a constant clicking/popping in my dash, and I get no heat, only cold air and only comes out of the defrost vents. The noise is constant whether climate control is turned on or off. I’ve read a bunch of things where this issue has been the blender door actuator. Just thought it was weird since it was literally right after I replaced the battery. Nothing out of the ordinary on the 20 minute drive to the parts store
Old 01-06-2020, 04:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had same issue, the clicking and also a “moaning” noise. Ended up being the mode actuator. Mine is located near the gas pedal. It’s a 30 dollar part, and about 40 min to replace. I have learned to NOT use non Ford actuators on this. I changed mine out and bought a DORMAN hoping it would fix things. Nothing at all for AC issues. And it was a different actuator that was bad.

I would recommend disconnecting the mode actuator and see if the clicking goes away. Do not get DORMAN actuators. Mine didn’t last, and when I put the original OEM back on, the Dorman actuator, literally came apart at the plastic gear.

good luck. 1700$ later for my aggregation. Hopefully, yours is simple and Is just the mode actuator.
The following users liked this post:
Dylan Melvin (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

I would probably try another reset just in case. Unhook the battery for 15 minutes. You described both temp and mode problems, it seems unlikely that 2 actuators would go bad at the same time, even if both of them are common problems. Maybe the HVAC module developed some glitch. Are there any radio buttons not working?
The following users liked this post:
seabeeadp (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For my case, only one actuator went bad. And that was the one on bottom of dash for the temps issue. (cold one side, hot other). I failed to listen to all you smart ones here and bought the wrong actuator (easiest to get too). After whipping out the $$$ for the blend door (I have DATC), two months later the aftermarket (Dorman brand) went bad. Once I put the original one back in, it works great now. Just a —- to resolve.

Sadly the bad actuator (blend door) messed up my computer module as well.

this form is a lifesaver.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
I would probably try another reset just in case. Unhook the battery for 15 minutes. You described both temp and mode problems, it seems unlikely that 2 actuators would go bad at the same time, even if both of them are common problems. Maybe the HVAC module developed some glitch. Are there any radio buttons not working?
as far as I can tell everything else is working perfectly
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Then it's probably not the buttons (FCIM). It doesn't sound like you did anything around there, but I'd check wiring in the dash, too. (since it's free) Plug/unplug a couple times, see if connections came loose somehow. Otherwise, you can start throwing actuators at it.

Oh, if you have the means, do a full DTC scan. Forscan can do this, see the sticky thread at the top of the forum, or other higher-end code readers. Auto parts stores are hit or miss whether they have advanced readers for their free scans. Dealers will want to charge $100+ just to read codes. When my temp blend actuator went out, I had nothing but heat, and actually had a code that agreed the actuator was faulty.

Quick Reply: Climate control issue after battery change