Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Pre-owned vs. Pre-owned

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Certified Pre-owned vs. Pre-owned

I am looking for a new truck. It will be my first F-150, I need to upgrade from my Ranger. But anyways. My question is should I spend the extra money to get a certified truck or just find a used one I like? I am looking for a 2011 and up 5.0 supercab. I just dont want to end up with buyers remorse.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a certified pre owned and basically all it gets you is a warranty. I had mine 2 weeks and the clear coat peeled on the front fender after its first car wash. Took it to a body shop and they said it had been repainted. Took it back to the dealership and asked them how it could be certified and have been in an accident and they said it still can. So like I said before all it gets u is a years warranty so I wouldn't turn away from trucks that aren't certified
The following users liked this post:
Trailbreak74 (05-02-2019)
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

I agree with floppy. Actually, getting a one owner vehicle and talking to them a bit usually reveals more about the maintenance and care than you will get from a dealer. For instance, what was the oil change frequency, what type of oil and filter used? How was the truck used? Etc.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

From my understanding a certified pre-owned gets you 6 years /100k miles bumper to bumper warranty also, At least around here it dose.

Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 08-09-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Agreed. I nearly always buy new and have never had problems selling those vehicles years later (I tend to keep 'em) without an independent mechanical inspection due to retained documentation and overall condition. If you trust your gut and your head, you can assess credibility of vehicle in question as well as the seller.

OTOH, private party sale of not so old vehicles has become much less common. Seems most folks prefer to trade in vs deal with advertising and showing. Here in AZ, state tax laws favors that even more by tax on the new or newer vehicle reduced by trade in allowance, i.e., tax is collected on the net difference vs full agreed purchase cost.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

If you're financing, a CPO can be the way to go. At least in most cases financing for used is a higher interest rate. So do the math, and see what the difference is with interest rates over the life of the truck as well. Ford offered 1.9%/72 mo last month on CPO F150s.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
From my understanding a certified pre-owned gets you 6 years /100k miles bumper to bumper warranty also, At least around here it dose.
In addition to the 172-point inspection, every Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle comes with a comprehensive limited warranty covering more than 1000 components for 12 months/12,000 miles.* Areas of coverage include:

Engine
Transmission
Rear-wheel drive
Front-wheel drive
Steering components
Brakes
Front and rear suspension
Electrical system
Air conditioning and heating
Technology components
Emissions components
Factory-installed audio system
Safety systems
Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage

On top of the comprehensive limited warranty coverage, we include seven-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty coverage with every Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.* It covers the engine, transmission and more:

Transferable to future owners at no extra cost
24-Hour Roadside Assistance (towing, jump starts for dead batteries, flat-tire changes on-site and lockout services) is included for the duration of the powertrain limited warranty coverage
Ford Extended Service Plans, which offer additional coverage, are available from any Ford or Lincoln Dealer
------------
Powertrain coverage is from the date it first sold.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TuxBlackFX4
If you're financing, a CPO can be the way to go. At least in most cases financing for used is a higher interest rate. So do the math, and see what the difference is with interest rates over the life of the truck as well. Ford offered 1.9%/72 mo last month on CPO F150s.
I saw the 1.9% deal and tried to get it but I didn't have the down payment at the time that would have made it work. And as soon as the deal ended. Someone offered me enough money for my truck that would have made that deal work...just my luck though.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Not around here ....

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
I bought a so called certified Pre owned Ford f150 , and I got the 6 yr 100k warranty but I had to buy it .... If I were you I would look the truck over top to bottom undercarriage and engine ... Certified or not ... If 4wd test it out first ... I bought mine at night and couldn't see the mud caked in the frame rails and other places ... mine was in the shop for a week before I even made the first payment Had it truly been certified used this and the mud should have been taken care of prior to putting it on the lot for sale ... Certified used is BS from my latest experience .. They come with the same coverage as any other used vehicle you buy ... depending on mileage and yrs covered .... the 100k warranty must be paid for unless you get a screaming deal somehow ... most dealerships dont give you somethin for nothin from my many yrs of experience buying trucks ...... Your best bet is to find a used one from a person that took good care of the truck ....
Hope you find a good one
Old 08-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would pay a little more for certified pre owned. That is, if you can find one you like. Start looking around, you're more likely to find one used that isn't certified. I wanted a 4x4 and it was slim pickings. I bought it at a Lexus dealer that gave it a 30 day warranty and had a good reputation.

When you're considering a used vehicle, google the dealer, check yelp, etc. When in doubt, take it to a mechanic to have it looked over.

Quick Reply: Certified Pre-owned vs. Pre-owned