Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console with Bucket Seats vs Bench Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Center Console with Bucket Seats vs Bench Seat

It seems like a lot of people are wanting bucket seats when they get trucks, and it is hard to find one on the lot with bench seats. The advantages of the bucket is the possibility to add cooled seats, the air flow to the back seat, and the power jacks in the back seats. But with the front bench seat you can add another person.

What does everyone put in the center console that they need a big one? My wife has an escape and I told her that it is not a junk drawer and so she does not put that much stuff into it.

Based on whats on the lot, I would assume more people are going after bucket seats, but what are some of the other advantages/disadvantages?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Natenum
It seems like a lot of people are wanting bucket seats when they get trucks, and it is hard to find one on the lot with bench seats. The advantages of the bucket is the possibility to add cooled seats, the air flow to the back seat, and the power jacks in the back seats. But with the front bench seat you can add another person.

What does everyone put in the center console that they need a big one? My wife has an escape and I told her that it is not a junk drawer and so she does not put that much stuff into it.

Based on whats on the lot, I would assume more people are going after bucket seats, but what are some of the other advantages/disadvantages?

I removed the middle seat in my 11 and replaced it with an XLT console. I didn't like the middle seat for a few reasons.

1. It was uncomfortable, narrow, and generally unusable for any normal sized person.
2. It was wide enough when in the down (armrest) position that it made me feel cramped in the cab.
3. The cup holders sucked. In 11 some designer got the bright idea to put a "smart phone" cutout next to the cup holders. This pretty much caused the two cup holders to shrink and become unusable for more than cans of soda.
4. Not enough storage space, even though the new XLT console is massive black hole overkill.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bskouby
I removed the middle seat in my 11 and replaced it with an XLT console. I didn't like the middle seat for a few reasons.

1. It was uncomfortable, narrow, and generally unusable for any normal sized person.
2. It was wide enough when in the down (armrest) position that it made me feel cramped in the cab.
3. The cup holders sucked. In 11 some designer got the bright idea to put a "smart phone" cutout next to the cup holders. This pretty much caused the two cup holders to shrink and become unusable for more than cans of soda.
4. Not enough storage space, even though the new XLT console is massive black hole overkill.
So you can remove the middle seat if you choose? How hard is that to do?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I have had both. Started out with the XLT bench seat. There is a secret compartment under the middle seat. Big enough to hold a stack of CDs. I also liked the extra set of cup holders that pulls out under the seat. The top storage compartment was oddly shaped and did not hold much.

That being said, I traded in for the FX4 and probably will not miss the bench much. I only sat three people up front once. The center console is very functional for storage. You can even hang file separators in it (check out the owners manual...it is true). It can also swallow a laptop and it does lock. I do not like the cup holder location since the shifter is in the way but I like them better because they will hold large cups or water bottles if you take out the inserts.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Obviously, I'd say the only advantage of the middle seat is 6 passenger capability.

So, you either need that or you don't. Everything else favors the bucket seats.

Yes, it would be nice to only have to take the truck when you have 6 going somewhere, but my household is 5 persons.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Natenum
So you can remove the middle seat if you choose? How hard is that to do?
Not very. There are four bolts on the side four corners of the seat frame that you can back out. You then need to flip it onto its back and unhook the rear power connector (if you have one).

Installing the XLT console is a bit more complicated...slightly. On my 11 I had to drill four new holes in the base (soft aluminum) and then thread the four new bolts through. Pretty easy...there are a few write ups on installing the consoles here...just search for them.

Just be sure to get a 2010+ console. The 2004 - 2009 consoles look the same but have a different mounting style (four bolts through the bottom versus the sides in the 10+).

Here is the base under the seat that you will need to drill the hole in:

Name:  2011-12-31_14-36-55_187.jpg
Views: 7741
Size:  98.5 KB

Here is the console installed:

Name:  2011-12-31_14-59-04_924.jpg
Views: 10126
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  2011-12-31_14-58-23_341.jpg
Views: 11207
Size:  75.6 KB

Last edited by bskouby; 02-16-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by EcoBlue
I have had both. Started out with the XLT bench seat. There is a secret compartment under the middle seat. Big enough to hold a stack of CDs. I also liked the extra set of cup holders that pulls out under the seat. The top storage compartment was oddly shaped and did not hold much.

That being said, I traded in for the FX4 and probably will not miss the bench much. I only sat three people up front once. The center console is very functional for storage. You can even hang file separators in it (check out the owners manual...it is true). It can also swallow a laptop and it does lock. I do not like the cup holder location since the shifter is in the way but I like them better because they will hold large cups or water bottles if you take out the inserts.
Have 4 in the family right now with 2 boys under 3, but they are going to be big (I am 6'5). I figured on going with bench so if a couple or parents are over we can take my truck instead of taking 2 cars. I don't think I would have used the center console for much storage. I have enough junk drawers in the house/garage!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the buckets look better all around. The bench with the fold down middle looks funny to me with the head rest curved down. It looks too big. I wonder if you can pull the middle head rest off?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
"To Life, Love and Loot"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had experience with both options as my old truck had the bench seat and my new truck has the center console with bucket seats.

With that being said I 100% prefer the center console w/ bucket seats for a couple of reasons.

1. I like having the gear shifter in the center as opposed to on the steering column.

2. I like the overall appearance better.

3. Everytime I had to put the bench seat up in my old truck to accomodate a 6th person (which wasn't that often) it would cause everything in the tiny storage comparment to move around. So when I returned the bench seat to the down position and opened the compartment everything would be all over the place and I'd have to take the time to re-position everything.

4. The storage compartment in my new truck is HUGE. I wish there was some way to convert it into a small cooler for drinks like in my gf's Range.

5. I don't particularly like the look of a lawn mowing business that tries to squeeze four people across the front.

However, for people that need the extra passenger room the bench seat is very practical it's just not for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to look around here. It is hard to find an XLT with the 1/2 console as I call it. Just about all of them have the fold down ones.

I have a 03 GMC Sierra with the fold down console for the front seat. I have to say in the 6 years I have owned it I have only flipped it up to have someone sit there a handful of times. I would much rather have the storage space. Also I don't know about the F150's fold down ones, but over time the one in the Sierra squeaks and rattles from not being as sturdy as an actual console.

Quick Reply: Center Console with Bucket Seats vs Bench Seat