Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both Front Power Windows Failed (plus backup camera)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both Front Power Windows Failed (plus backup camera)

Recently purchased a 2011 Platinum Screw 4x4 with 180K miles. So far truck has been great. Does not drive at all like an old tired truck.

2 Days ago - Both front power windows stopped working and at same time - and the rear view backup camera display quit at the same time. Rear windows and all other controls and systems seem fine.

Fuses are good. Took door panel off - and have strong power and ground to motor. Not certain but looks like front windows are control by some sort of relay. The wire terminal that connects to the window regulator has 5 wires. 2 are larger and provide power and ground. The power is hot when the accessory is on. The other 3 smaller wires - the color patterns do not match the wires connected to the switch that control the front windows.

Replaced window switch with a working switch - but no difference. Took apart and cleaned all wiring connections in and to the door. No change.

In the older f150 models - there was a "One Touch Down" module - but I see no such module for 2011. The wires leading to the switch that control the front widows - do not match the wires leading to the motor.

1) Does anyone know how to Jump these windows up?

2) Is there someplace I can find the wiring diagrams?

3) Any and all suggestions on how to proceed greatly appreciated!

I am normally eager to tackle a challenge but this one is rather daunting at this point in time.

Thank you for your time and attention

Jim H
Old 09-01-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,726 Posts

If you are going to do your own work, get yourself a service manual with the diagrams. Got mine from ebay for $20. The guy is still selling the actual Ford software on USB drives.

Can you put a 9 volt battery on the motors to see if they run? In 2013 there is a relay right in the middle of the BCM. But, if that was dead, all 4 windows should be dead. And, you probably wouldn't have audio. (your 2011 could be different, though)
The following users liked this post:
gojimh (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
If you are going to do your own work, get yourself a service manual with the diagrams. Got mine from ebay for $20. The guy is still selling the actual Ford software on USB drives.

Can you put a 9 volt battery on the motors to see if they run? In 2013 there is a relay right in the middle of the BCM. But, if that was dead, all 4 windows should be dead. And, you probably wouldn't have audio. (your 2011 could be different, though)
Spiky, Thank you for your help!

I did order factory service manual on ebay. Getting accurate wiring diagrams will be very helpful.

Could BCM also be known as ECM?

Regarding "9 volt battery" - by this - do you suggest - use this to jump the smaller wires to get windows up?

Again - thank you for your time and help!

Jim H
Old 09-02-2019, 06:03 PM

No, PCM could also be called ECM,. BCM is the interior fuse box.

Most things in a car run between 6-12v, you can usually test a motor with a 9v battery. Unhooked from the truck wiring, of course. Or run wires directly to the car battery, bypassing all the switches so it just should run. Just to test.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Most things in a car run between 6-12v, you can usually test a motor with a 9v battery. Unhooked from the truck wiring, of course. Or run wires directly to the car battery, bypassing all the switches so it just should run. Just to test.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Talking Problem "Abated" for now

Spiky,

Thank you for your help.

I have the problem "abated" for now. The previous owner had taken the truck to a ford dealer some 55 days ago for the exact same problem. That dealership replaced both front door wiring harnesses and charged $110 an hour for 4 hrs labor plus parts.

Using a copy of that receipt - I took the truck to the local ford dealer to see if they could shed some light for little or no cost. They found no fault with the replaced wiring harnesses but were able identify that fuse 32 in the BCM was blown and replacing that restored both front windows as well as the backup camera. It should be noted that in the manual - Fuse 1 is for the drivers power window and Fuse 3 is for the Passenger front power window.

They also spent some time trying to locate what was causing the fuse to short out but no luck. Total cost - $137 which I was fine with. My dealer - on the receipt - clearly identified what they found (Fuse 32 blown) and that they were not able to locate the source causing the short.

Problem Speculation - There was no commonality in this that I could find any helpful information via internet search - and the problem was new and strange to the dealer as well. We purchased the truck from a person who was retied - yet was living on about 100 acres of land and raising cattle.

I suspect the problem likely may have been caused by mice chewing wires. Mice are prone to chew wires but since 2008, many car-makers started using soy-based wire insulation.

Anyone have other Ideas or speculation?

All in all - I am still very happy with the truck.

Jim H
Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM

32 also mentions the power windows, it's the fuse for the relay. You'll see the diagrams in the service manual. I wonder if that relay is ok.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Spiky,

I agree with the concern

We swapped the Rely shown as 49 in the manual with a working relay from the power distribution box.

No change - but will order a few relays to keep in the truck as well.

Thank you

Jim H
Old 09-08-2020, 04:41 PM

2013 F-150. Guys help, please. A few weeks ago my back up camera just quit. Nothing, no picture, no blue screen, nothing. I checked the fuses, un hooked the negative battery cable and reset. Unplugged the camera at the mirror. I did not unplug and clean the plugs at the tailgate, as I dont use the truck as a mudder or anything. And now today, none of the power windows work, front, back or rear. Nothing. I checked fuse 32, it seems ok and I replaced the circuit breaker. Windows and camera still dont work. I did order a new camera, but before I unpack it and put it in, I was hoping it was a fuse or something. Makes no sense that the camera and the windows would go out. Everything else seems to work. Thanks.

Last edited by BamaTex; 09-08-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:56 PM

Same issue here. I have a 2013 F150 and it continues to blow the power window fuse #1 and the #32 fuse. I haven't replaced the relay. That will be next. Never had an issue before. Now it happens almost immediately when I change the fuses and use them.

Originally Posted by BamaTex
2013 F-150. Guys help, please. A few weeks ago my back up camera just quit. Nothing, no picture, no blue screen, nothing. I checked the fuses, un hooked the negative battery cable and reset. Unplugged the camera at the mirror. I did not unplug and clean the plugs at the tailgate, as I dont use the truck as a mudder or anything. And now today, none of the power windows work, front, back or rear. Nothing. I checked fuse 32, it seems ok and I replaced the circuit breaker. Windows and camera still dont work. I did order a new camera, but before I unpack it and put it in, I was hoping it was a fuse or something. Makes no sense that the camera and the windows would go out. Everything else seems to work. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Both Front Power Windows Failed (plus backup camera)