Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Brake thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Another Brake thread

I've not had good luck with brakes -

It's been less than 20,000 miles since I had my rotors turned, and installed WAGNER Thermoquiet brake pads.

My truck will turn over 53,000 miles Saturday, and for the last couple of weeks, when the truck is warm, and I hit the brakes firmly, it's been shaking the wheel like a rotor is warped.

Coming home this afternoon, I pushed them hard at about 70 mph, and the wheel shook about an inch each way.

I figured it's just some brake pad material on the discs, so I'll have them turned again.

So I pulled it apart, pads have 90% still left, and I take the rotors in, only for them to show me stress cracks in the rotor, and won't turn them.

So I get two new rotors, debate about using the old pads, but then the 'old school' mentality kicks in, and I get new pads too - replace the rattle clips, grease the pins, and put it back together.

Took the wife for a drive to SONIC, so I could seat the pads, and get her a Cherry Limeade - and just got back.

These trucks have beefy rotors, and big pads - don't you think a set of rotors should go more than 52,000 miles, or mainly highway driving ?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
I've not had good luck with brakes -

It's been less than 20,000 miles since I had my rotors turned, and installed WAGNER Thermoquiet brake pads.

My truck will turn over 53,000 miles Saturday, and for the last couple of weeks, when the truck is warm, and I hit the brakes firmly, it's been shaking the wheel like a rotor is warped.

Coming home this afternoon, I pushed them hard at about 70 mph, and the wheel shook about an inch each way.

I figured it's just some brake pad material on the discs, so I'll have them turned again.

So I pulled it apart, pads have 90% still left, and I take the rotors in, only for them to show me stress cracks in the rotor, and won't turn them.

So I get two new rotors, debate about using the old pads, but then the 'old school' mentality kicks in, and I get new pads too - replace the rattle clips, grease the pins, and put it back together.

Took the wife for a drive to SONIC, so I could seat the pads, and get her a Cherry Limeade - and just got back.

These trucks have beefy rotors, and big pads - don't you think a set of rotors should go more than 52,000 miles, or mainly highway driving ?
N
I sure would think soo! This is my 1st F-150, but on my last two half tons trucks(Silverado's, & Hummer H3) I traded them in with around 110 k miles on them and the brakes were in excellent condition! I had 50% left on the pads, and the rotors looked fine as well, but I only towed two wave runners and I drive like a old man 85% of the time

Quick Reply: Another Brake thread