Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Bilstein 5100 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 135 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Another Bilstein 5100 Review

So with my old OEM shocks nearly at 80k and getting real jittery I decided to get them replaced. Went with the Bilstein 5100 set up all around. I had been running an Autospring 1.5" level but just took that off and set the Bilsteins at the 1.5" mark.
Finally got them slapped on last week and man I am very impressed. I've driven around Memphis streets (wagon trails), Mississippi back roads, and also some good highway time this weekend on them. They are firm without being too stiff. Now I am running 275/60/20 Toyo AT II which is a P rated tire so that helps keep it comfortable since I know how it feels with a 10 ply that I had prior.
It's a very controlled ride without all the swaying and repetitive rebounding you see with the stock stuff (especially at 80k). I was concerned since I had seen people complain they were too stiff which I do not see that at all. I don't get any jarring and side to side bounce over bumps and it just handles it like a champ. These also make cornering and handling better since you don't get the body roll as bad.
I can also compare them to a Fox 2.0 set up on my last truck. While the Fox stuff was nice, it was a bit overkill and was definitely a stiffer ride that had some problems with what felt like my suspension bottoming out. Although off the beaten path the Fox stuff was pretty outstanding in its manners and handling.
Overall very happy with my initial assessment. Glad I went with the upgraded shock instead of OEM replacement. We shall see how these do and hold up over time. Pics coming soon
The following users liked this post:
joedotmac (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Old 09-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

I love mine, too. I went Rancho first and dealt with too many leaky shocks.

Any reason why you didn't keep the Autospring and leave the Bilsteins at the factory setting?
Old 09-04-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

Just curious what would be the point?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by NastyFFX4
I love mine, too. I went Rancho first and dealt with too many leaky shocks.

Any reason why you didn't keep the Autospring and leave the Bilsteins at the factory setting?
For one, the level put me pretty much dead level front to back. So towing my ATV or anything gave some squat which I didn't love. So the Bilstein actually have the front about a half inch lower from the rear. The other reason would be to use the leveling feature of the shock. No reason to pay for it and not use it.
Now that I think about it the ride may be softer if you just leave it stock height since spring isn't getting preloaded but I really love the way it feels now

Quick Reply: Another Bilstein 5100 Review