Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket TPMS recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 05:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default aftermarket TPMS recommendation?

My 2014 STX does not have TPMS. I think it's a handy system to have.. Does anyone have a recommendation on a TPMS? I see some on amazon that could work. Just trying to see what people have used. Thanks
Old 04-19-2024, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Received 169 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by allikanbe
My 2014 STX does not have TPMS. I think it's a handy system to have.. Does anyone have a recommendation on a TPMS? I see some on amazon that could work. Just trying to see what people have used. Thanks

​​​​​​? All 2014 F150s have a TPMS system; perhaps you mean you are missing the sensors inside each wheel? If so - Then yes, a set from amazon that fit your truck with good reviews will likely work just fine. Unlike the sensitivity of some engine sensors to OEM / Motorocraft only, I have not seen nor heard of anything special about the factory wheel sensors.

As an aside, I wish TPMS sensors would never have come about. Just a nuisance waiting to occur (i.e. dash light) intended to cover for people too clueless to check tire pressures themselves. I put it right up there with dip-stick-less engine oil monitors. Thanks, Ford, for having your Exploders roll-over in the '90s that brought about this scourge.

Last edited by Trio; 04-20-2024 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MPETE (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 01:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I highly suggest you head over to rockauto and order some Pre-programmed SCHRADER TPMS sensor. Supposedly Schrader is the company that make the OEM sensors for ford. I went round and round with cheap sensors back in December. I thought I'd be slick and ordered OEM sensors from ebay for like $45. Turns out they were fake and wouldn't program to the truck.
Bought the Schraders and they associated with my truck with my cheaper $12 TPMS trigger box I got from Amazon. Zero issues with these.
And they only cost about $100 for all 4 of them.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:47 AM

Well, I guess the system doesn't work or there are not any sensors in the tires. Nothing shows up on a display. I'll check again. thanks.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:09 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

It sounds like someone disabled the system, they have been required on new vehicles made since at least 2007. If you want TPMS (and I strongly advise getting it working) you're going to have to get that figured out 1st. If the sensors are dead, you should be getting a warning on the dash.

Sensors typically last 7-10 years before the battery dies, but I've seen some last longer. I've bought sensors from Amazon for 3 different vehicles. You can get a 4 pack for around $60-$80. Tire shops don't charge extra to install them if you're getting new tires mounted anyway. Around $10-$15 each if they install them any other time. It's a lot cheaper to just replace them early than wait for them to die.

I've been replacing mine proactively about every other set of tires. If I'm buying new tires anyway and if I know the sensors in them will be 8+ years old by the time I wear out those tires I buy new sensors ahead of time and take them to the tire store when I get tires.

Some guys will disable the system rather than spend $60-$80 for new sensors. That's only about the cost of 1 tank of gas. But I like having them. Twice I've ran over unseen debris and punctured tires. The warning gave me just enough time to get off the road and stopped before the tire went flat. Having a tire come apart at 70 mph is dangerous. That is what TPMS is intended for. Not as a replacement for an air gauge.
Trio (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 09:42 AM

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,218 Posts

I am one who disabled the warning and dash readout using Forscan. It takes 2 separate Forscan programing functions to 2 different modules. I do not have the settings handy but could find them. I did this because I switched between tire sets seasonally and plan to keep the truck for near 20 years. I tended to check vehicles with a manual gauge regularly and still do. KM
The following 2 users liked this post by 2017bluetruck:
Trio (04-20-2024), w8ntogo (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Received 169 Likes on 124 Posts

Well, I guess the system doesn't work or there are not any sensors in the tires. Nothing shows up on a display. I'll check again. thanks.
If you don't even have an error light on the dash (or at initial start-up), then as @marshallr and @2017bluetruck mentioned above, it is likely a previous owner used Forscan to disable the feature altogether. I did the same on my 2013 to disable the TPMS system since I was changing wheel / tire sets seasonally, and it's just an errand truck and not a daily driver. Forscan is quite an asset for f150 owners - nothing quite like it with Chevy and Ram.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:15 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 268 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't think you're familiar with how the system works in these trucks. It does not inform you how much air is in each tire. It is simply a warning system that will alert you if a tire is low on air pressure. Starting in 2008, all motor vehicles under 10k gvwr sold in the US were legally required to have tpms warning systems.
even at start-up, theres not a light that shows up as someone else mentioned. It's simply operating in the background until there is an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by MPETE:
Kamps989 (04-21-2024), Trio (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MPETE
I don't think you're familiar with how the system works in these trucks. It does not inform you how much air is in each tire. It is simply a warning system that will alert you if a tire is low on air pressure. Starting in 2008, all motor vehicles under 10k gvwr sold in the US were legally required to have tpms warning systems.
even at start-up, theres not a light that shows up as someone else mentioned. It's simply operating in the background until there is an issue.
Got it. I'll let some air out of a tire and drive it to see if the TPMS works. Thanks
Old 04-22-2024, 05:45 AM

Received 3,085 Likes on 1,697 Posts

To all who say the TPMS is pointless and they just check their tires. That works sometimes, but unless you check your tires every single time you drive, which I doubt, the system can save you and is completely worth it.

Got in my truck one day after driving it the day before. Large warning on the dash said low pressure and stated driver front at 26 lbs. I know the older systems do not display pressures like mine, but the warning would still alert you.

Id run over a screw the day before. I would have driven to work unknowingly otherwise.

To the OP, Id get the system operational.
Newbie 5 (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: aftermarket TPMS recommendation?