Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4l v8 w/ 6r80 Trans - Leadfframe assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 5.4l v8 w/ 6r80 Trans - Leadfframe assembly?

Hey All,

Hope it's appropriate for me to post here .. since I technically have a navigator .. but it's all Ford. Anyway, it's got the 5.4l v8 engine and the 6r80 trans.

This past weekend I drove to Florida (from Atlanta) and while I was there used a valet. When the valet returned the car, the speedometer wasn't working and the odometer / computer display was only showing dashes for most things. The tach still worked and the engine sounded fine. It felt like it was starting from 2nd gear though. I found a safe place, pulled over, turned the vehicle off, waited a minute and restarted. Speedo came back, was starting from 1st gear and generally seemed fine. 10 minutes down the road, computer beeped, speedo went to 0 and dashes appear for odometer / in dash computer. It did this one additional time while in a WalMart parking lot, except this time it actually threw a P0720 code (output shaft sensor circuit malfunction). I tried to get the vehicle serviced in FLA, but wasn't able to. Ran fine all the way home, and hasn't recurred. However I would say the shifting has been a tad harsh.

My symptoms are very similar to what is described in TSB 13-6-8, except that the engine isn't starting in 5th. There is another TSB that I can't find at the moment that describes hard shifts but also a random downshift while at speed. I do have the hard shifts (especially from 2>3) and what feel like generally 'misplaced' ahiftpoints, but I do not have the starting in 5th or random, unexpected downshifts. The trans feels very strong and smooth most of the time.

Everything I have read seems to be pointing me toward replacing the 'moulded leadframe assembly." which in this 6r80 trans is mounted to the valvebody. Does anyone have experience with these similar symptoms and how did you get it corrected? I'm pretty handy and can do general stuff like brakes, rotors, oil changes, etc .. but never worked anywhere close to my trans. Is this something that a diy'er like me can generally handle? I've also seen where clearing the TSC Adaptive Tables can resolve some shifting issues with this trans. Does the batter disconnect / touch the cables together clear this?

Thanks all,
Chris
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,217 Likes on 2,874 Posts

What year is the navigator? The early 6R80 trans the only way to get the leadframe was part of the whole main control for the transmission, if you have your VIN i can check for you. and if it would be the whole main control that would require dealer programming
The following users liked this post:
chackett (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Oh .. sorry. It's a 2012. All the YT vids / articles I have read seem to suggest the valvebody and leadframe are two seperate assemblies on my 6r80. I think maybe the 6r60 was one piece? But I also think the vss was mounted externally on those trans whereas the input and output sensors are integrated into the leadframe in the trans I have.

Anyhoo .. the vin is 5LMJJ2J51CEL00847

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

the lead frame is separate on yours. I believe it was 09 and 10 that they were not.

and here is better news for you, Ford has extended coverage on the leadframe for 10 years or 150k miles from warranty start date, so if you take it to a ford dealer and if there are any codes in there relating to the lead frame. it wont cost you a dime. Ford CSP 16N02
chackett (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Well, I have about 170k miles, so I'm guessing I need to handle it myself it sounds like.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chackett
Well, I have about 170k miles, so I'm guessing I need to handle it myself it sounds like.
yea, its on you now
Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM

So the AL3Z-7G276-B is the molded leadframe assembly rigfht? Do all of them have both the input and output speed/shaft sensor on them? Ie:

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-part...RoCFfMQAvD_BwE

Is this a repair / replacement I can generally do myself? Does it require any programming?

Speaking for programming, did I hear there are software updates for this transmission from ford? Should I be asking my dealer / repair center to make sure I have the latest updates?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chackett
So the AL3Z-7G276-B is the molded leadframe assembly rigfht? Do all of them have both the input and output speed/shaft sensor on them? Ie:

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-part...RoCFfMQAvD_BwE

Is this a repair / replacement I can generally do myself? Does it require any programming?

Speaking for programming, did I hear there are software updates for this transmission from ford? Should I be asking my dealer / repair center to make sure I have the latest updates?

Thanks!
Chris
there might be a reprogram, and you might be able to do it yourself. not sure how inclined you are
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've changed them on both F150's and Navigators and they are exactly the same. It's a pretty simple swap, just have to drop the pan, remove transmission wiring harness and case connector, remove the larger valve body bolts to lower the valve body, once it's out unbolt the leadframe and lift off valve body and put the new one on. Takes a few hours first time. Anyone with decent mechanical skills can do it especially with the videos on youtube showing how it's done.
chackett (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLT
I've changed them on both F150's and Navigators and they are exactly the same. It's a pretty simple swap, just have to drop the pan, remove transmission wiring harness and case connector, remove the larger valve body bolts to lower the valve body, once it's out unbolt the leadframe and lift off valve body and put the new one on. Takes a few hours first time. Anyone with decent mechanical skills can do it especially with the videos on youtube showing how it's done.
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. I think I have read most of the materials or watched most of the videos that are related to this part / repair and it looks like something I would be able to do. I guess there was one video / TSB or something I read that discussed having the get some pieces / parts aligned properly but it wasn't covered in any detail. From what I could see it was some sort of circular port / opening. Is there linkage involved also? Any calibration / adjustment needed on the linkage if it exists?

Thanks!
Chris

Quick Reply: 5.4l v8 w/ 6r80 Trans - Leadfframe assembly?