Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 driver's side water leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 driver's side water leak

Hi Guys,
I stumbled across this site while looking for a solution to my issue. It looks like a cool forum with lots of useful info and helpful people.
I recently purchased a 2014 f150 XLT crewcab with a 5.0 in it ( I'll put that in my sig). I took it through a carwash and afterwards found the driver's side floor pan to be completely soaked. I removed the plastic door sill and found lots of water around the wiring harness that runs through there. I vacuumed and dried everything out the best I could and began my research. I first thought it may have come from the undercarriage wash but a recent light rain proved that wrong. It rained at night while the truck was sitting in the driveway and the same area became soaked again. It seemed to get wetter as I drove to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rocky

Last edited by bluzdog; 05-22-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: not solved
The following users liked this post:
FordF150@3668 (02-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts

Two things: my issue is from the underside I think, where the clips that hold that sill rotted out and no longer hold the gaskets tight against the floor, allowing water up from the bottom. Another thing some guys have issues with is leaking third brake lights, where the water flows down the channel to the lowest point, being that sill with the wire harness in it. With a clogged drain gasket, the water just pools. You also could have a leak at the corner of the windshield as well. I would start to see if there is rust on the sill clips, and then examine your 3rd brake light gasket. If its under warranty take it in and have them look at it.
bluzdog (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:43 PM

I should have mentioned that the water accumulation is in the front driver's floor pan. Wouldn't this rule out the third brake light? The rear carpet is not wet. It is under warranty but they said if it's a clogged drain it's not covered. Is there a way to check that before I bring it in? Thanks for the input BC.

Rocky
Old 04-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bluzdog
I should have mentioned that the water accumulation is in the front driver's floor pan. Wouldn't this rule out the third brake light? The rear carpet is not wet. It is under warranty but they said if it's a clogged drain it's not covered. Is there a way to check that before I bring it in? Thanks for the input BC.

Rocky
The wiring channel goes all the way to the back of the cab, and up to the 3rd brake light. The water runs to the lowest point on that channel, which would be up front, and the carpet and sound deadening material dip slightly near that channel which could allow water to work its way into the floor pan. There shouldn't be any rust particulate or sand or anything on the rubber grommets under the wiring harness. Have you checked the other side? If the other side is wet also, it could be the 3rd brake light. If not, it could be coming in through a plug on the driver side of the cowl, which is that black piece where your wipers are right under the windshield. If not there, if your truck is equipped with satellite radio, it could be coming in through that black antenna on the roof.

Honestly, theres a ton of places water can leak in, due to poor design and or necessary gadgetry. The next nice day you have, take a hose and soak the areas I just listed, pulling the plastic sill to check and see if there is water running in from somewhere. If there isn't, make sure you really push the plastic sill down and soak under the pinch welds to see if its the sill itself not sealing. Those 3 or so holes you insert the sill into are literally just open holes in your cab.
bluzdog (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BC119
The wiring channel goes all the way to the back of the cab, and up to the 3rd brake light. The water runs to the lowest point on that channel, which would be up front, and the carpet and sound deadening material dip slightly near that channel which could allow water to work its way into the floor pan. There shouldn't be any rust particulate or sand or anything on the rubber grommets under the wiring harness. Have you checked the other side? If the other side is wet also, it could be the 3rd brake light. If not, it could be coming in through a plug on the driver side of the cowl, which is that black piece where your wipers are right under the windshield. If not there, if your truck is equipped with satellite radio, it could be coming in through that black antenna on the roof.

Honestly, theres a ton of places water can leak in, due to poor design and or necessary gadgetry. The next nice day you have, take a hose and soak the areas I just listed, pulling the plastic sill to check and see if there is water running in from somewhere. If there isn't, make sure you really push the plastic sill down and soak under the pinch welds to see if its the sill itself not sealing. Those 3 or so holes you insert the sill into are literally just open holes in your cab.
Thanks. I give a good look this weekend.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome back, Mike Berkemann!

(little joke for the guys here who have been around for some time - nothing to do with you, OP )
The following 2 users liked this post by kbrock:
McLovin (04-19-2018), Spiky (04-03-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:46 PM

Quick update: After following through with BC's advice, I tracked the leak to the area above the driver's side emergency brake / hood latch cable assembly etc. I left it with a Ford dealer and their convinced it's coming from the windshield. I guess I'll know if that assessment is correct soon enough. Thanks for the help BC!

Rocky
Old 04-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

i had the same issue, turned out to be the windshield. $6 tube of windshield silicone from advanced auto parts and it hasnt leaked since.

it had a wet patch in the headliner and would drip down the A pillar
Old 04-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Massshole13sc
i had the same issue, turned out to be the windshield. $6 tube of windshield silicone from advanced auto parts and it hasnt leaked since.

it had a wet patch in the headliner and would drip down the A pillar
The dealer says that the windshield isn't covered under the warranty. Dis you use regular RTV or some other sealant? Is it easy to take the trim off? Thanks

Rocky
Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

i didnt even take the seals out, i applied it liberally between the cab and the seal then did the same between the seal and the windshield. i could see on the top corner of the drivers side windshield where the seal wasnt snug. i havent had a problem since. pretty sure it was $6.xx at autozone
The following 2 users liked this post by Massshole13sc:
bluzdog (04-23-2018), rsylvstr (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: 2014 driver's side water leak