Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 5.0 having engine problems...again

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts
Default 2012 5.0 having engine problems...again

so once again my truck is having problems. about 2 weeks ago (and 300 miles ago) it suddenly started running like crap, had almost no power even with the throttle to the floor - rpm's didn't respond. After waiting over a week for the local dealer's 1 certified warranty guy to come back from training, they supposedly fixed it - at that time it was: P160A - Control Module Vehicle Options Reconfiguration Error

so today, ~ 300 miles later, it ran fine in the morning then sat for several hours - started it up in the afternoon, running like crap again. Figured I had enough power to get it back to the dealer, but halfway there it just flat out had nothing left - throttle to the floor, but no response from engine or rpms, it just gave up and I coasted to the side of the highway. Sat there trying to get through to ford roadside but after 10+ minutes gave up. I started it a few times and it kept having zero throttle response and stalled out. let it sit for maybe 5 more minutes, started it, and it suddenly had throttle again so I headed to the dealer .... only once again, the 1 guy at the dealer that can touch warrantied vehicles was gone until monday. they of course can't even plug the truck in to tell me the codes, but by now the CEL was on (steady, not flashing).

I got it over to advance auto and they got the code P0068.

truck has ~ 14k miles, no mod's to the engine/exhaust etc. Bone stock

Last edited by Cowpig; 02-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 PM

oh, now it sort of drives normally but still sounds rough - but I can get it up to highway speeds. The CEL is still on but not flashing. Once I get to a steady speed I can hear the engine sounding like a diesel/clatter (when I hold it steady or give it very light throttle). I checked the oil, it's clean and full.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Google it and it says power train control module.
Hope it helps.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

P0068 is a TPS/MAF/MAP sensor error:
http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0068_ford.html

My guess is a bum TPS or MAF that needs to be cleaned. Might be worth it to pick up a can of MAF Cleaner and give that a shot.

I'd also find a new dealer - 1 tech "that can work on warranty" is BS, plain and simple.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM

thanks, yeah that's the same info I come up with gonna go try and see if there's anything obvious

as far as 1 tech... this town is small and sh**ty so it's lucky there's a dealer here at all - but that said, I still don't get why Ford corporate dictates that a warrantied vehicle cannot even be glanced at by a standard mechanic if the certified guy is gone.... seems as if they're punishing anyone with a newer truck because without a warranty they could've fixed it today.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM

The thing where only a certified mechanic can touch it sounds like a BS thing to me. When I've had warranty work done on my Taurus there was nothing mentioned about it - just gave my concern and they said "when can you come in?"

The only time I needed a "special mechanic" was when they replaced the knock sensor in the Taurus. They wanted the shop foreman to do it as he had the most training on the Ecoboost (it was early 2012). I was OK with that as they put me in a loaner for 3 weeks so I didn't care.

When they did the PTU vent and seals in the Taurus it was just any old mechanic.

Is there another town nearby with a dealer? May be worth the trip to get it fixed quickly.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM

unfortunately no it isn't BS, the mechanic doing warranty has to be the ford certified guy - larger dealers have more than one, this one only has one. The next closest dealer is 60 miles away. I tried for a loaner, but the ford warranty line was already closed so they couldn't even call to see about getting me a rental car under warranty (dealer is too small to have loaners) ... and there are no rental car places in town (again...60 miles away). I've never lived in such a small town, and have already set wheels in motion to get the hell out of here asap

definitely regret not buying the ram 1500 i was considering when I bought this hunk of garbage..... live and learn
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (02-16-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Dealers don't hire mechanics anymore. They hire technicians. Hence the problem.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cowpig
unfortunately no it isn't BS, the mechanic doing warranty has to be the ford certified guy - larger dealers have more than one, this one only has one.
Wow, just wow. Did not know any of that.

definitely regret not buying the ram 1500 i was considering when I bought this hunk of garbage..... live and learn
Let's just say this: The latest JD Powers dependability survey has Ram well below Ford in long term reliability. And Consumer Reports also rates them near the bottom. Same old junk from Chrysler.

If anything, a GM may prove to be more reliable.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by itguy08
Wow, just wow. Did not know any of that. Let's just say this: The latest JD Powers dependability survey has Ram well below Ford in long term reliability. And Consumer Reports also rates them near the bottom. Same old junk from Chrysler. If anything, a GM may prove to be more reliable.
While I agree that Dodge is crap, the only thing magazine reviews prove is which companies are spending more on advertising in a given issue. Those reviews are bought and paid for.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 having engine problems...again