Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Navigation Update FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 2011 Navigation Update FAIL

As part of the deal when I bought my truck, I wanted the navigation system updated. So I got the update discs through the dealers parts department.

The software update comes as 2 discs and the navigation update comes as 2 discs. I ran the software update, and my truck only needed the first disc,(the instructions say that some vehicles only need the first) and I verified the software version is B4U32016. I then ran the first disc of the navigation update and it fully loaded and gave the prompt for disc 2 to be inserted. Once the 2nd disc started the progress indicator barely moved (only about 2%) then the following message appeared.

Name:  update%20failure1_zpsg4j9c5gl.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  21.6 KB

So, I did as instructed, still same issue after 5 attempts. I got the dealer to replace the disc set and tried again, only to have the exact same problem.

Now anytime I start the truck this error message appears:

Name:  update%20failure_zpsfqbrmoep.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  22.5 KB

I have called HERE,(as the instruction booklet says to do.) They are the providers of the map data. They told me that they can offer me NO support since I didn't purchase directly from them, I must deal with my dealer over it.

My truck has been at the dealer now for a week for another issue, and the said they would try to correct this problem. Friday evening they told me that I had to call Ford at a number they provided me to discuss the issue. When I called tonight, it was another line to HERE, the data provider, who now says that they provide no technical support at all, and I must call my dealers service department. Never mind the fact that the dealer gave me their number!!

Does anyone have a clue what I can do with this bloody thing, even the service advisor at the dealer has no idea on it. So far the update has been a huge waste of time and money, I could have bought 3 NEW Garmin units for what I now have into this damn thing.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by brunosplace
As part of the deal when I bought my truck, I wanted the navigation system updated. So I got the update discs through the dealers parts department.

The software update comes as 2 discs and the navigation update comes as 2 discs. I ran the software update, and my truck only needed the first disc,(the instructions say that some vehicles only need the first) and I verified the software version is B4U32016. I then ran the first disc of the navigation update and it fully loaded and gave the prompt for disc 2 to be inserted. Once the 2nd disc started the progress indicator barely moved (only about 2%) then the following message appeared.

So, I did as instructed, still same issue after 5 attempts. I got the dealer to replace the disc set and tried again, only to have the exact same problem.

I have called HERE,(as the instruction booklet says to do.) They are the providers of the map data. They told me that they can offer me NO support since I didn't purchase directly from them, I must deal with my dealer over it.

My truck has been at the dealer now for a week for another issue, and the said they would try to correct this problem. Friday evening they told me that I had to call Ford at a number they provided me to discuss the issue. When I called tonight, it was another line to HERE, the data provider, who now says that they provide no technical support at all, and I must call my dealers service department. Never mind the fact that the dealer gave me their number!!

Does anyone have a clue what I can do with this bloody thing, even the service advisor at the dealer has no idea on it. So far the update has been a huge waste of time and money, I could have bought 3 NEW Garmin units for what I now have into this damn thing.

That's one of the main reasons I HATE HATE HATE factory Navigation. You get stuck with crappy maps that you MIGHT be able to update, and even then they'll still be crappy. I went with an iPad and use Google Maps. Updates all the time and it's free.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

You can try to get in contact with the Ford IV team and see if they are of any assistance. Do you have the original map disc(s)? Is there a master reset? I am with double D. Factory nav on most vehicles blows.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
You can try to get in contact with the Ford IV team and see if they are of any assistance. Do you have the original map disc(s)? Is there a master reset? I am with double D. Factory nav on most vehicles blows.
It really shouldn't be that hard to update maps, but it always is with OEM maps.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not found any CAR manufactures that can build a good navigation unit. Think about it, they build cars. Putting all the computer crap on the car really isn't their specialty. Further, I will not buy a car with a factory navi. They just suck.

I do some really clean installs with my Garmin units: hidden wires, custom dash clips, and powers on/off with the key. And, it's super easy to do. The only thing that would make it easier is if Ford made a Garmin clip on the dash instead of the stupid coin holder. But, that would make too much sense.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for summoning us, Chad Walker! However, the dealer is in the best position to assist with this concern. Have them contact Tech Hotline if they're having difficulties resolving the issue.

Shaay
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by discodave
That's one of the main reasons I HATE HATE HATE factory Navigation. You get stuck with crappy maps that you MIGHT be able to update, and even then they'll still be crappy. I went with an iPad and use Google Maps. Updates all the time and it's free.
I actually liked the system, up until the update caused this.... HERE also provides the map data for the Garmin handhelds, so the map data is actually pretty good.

No idea if there is a reset. Only have the update disc, the original was the factory installed.

Originally Posted by discodave
It really shouldn't be that hard to update maps, but it always is with OEM maps.
Never had trouble with a family members Nissan system I updated.

Originally Posted by sgsTexas
I have not found any CAR manufactures that can build a good navigation unit. Think about it, they build cars. Putting all the computer crap on the car really isn't their specialty. Further, I will not buy a car with a factory navi. They just suck.

I do some really clean installs with my Garmin units: hidden wires, custom dash clips, and powers on/off with the key. And, it's super easy to do. The only thing that would make it easier is if Ford made a Garmin clip on the dash instead of the stupid coin holder. But, that would make too much sense.
That would be nice.

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey guys,

Thanks for summoning us, Chad Walker! However, the dealer is in the best position to assist with this concern. Have them contact Tech Hotline if they're having difficulties resolving the issue.

Shaay

I let the service advisor know, we will see what happens tomorrow, when the tech is back and can try again.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Ford Customer Service

Thanks for the update, brunosplace! Keep me in the loop.

Shaay
Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Thanks for the update, brunosplace! Keep me in the loop.

Shaay
Tech Hotline determined that the Audio Control Module needs to be replaced, don't have a cost estimate yet. Looking online it is pricey at $505.42!!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Ford Customer Service

Tech Hotline determined that the Audio Control Module needs to be replaced, don't have a cost estimate yet. Looking online it is pricey at $505.42!!
Oh no! Glad they were able to find a root cause. Hopefully it doesn't break your pockets too much.

Shaay

Quick Reply: 2011 Navigation Update FAIL