Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FX4 Custom Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2011 FX4 Custom Dual Exhaust

Greetings...

After writing and looking back, this ended up being longer than planned due to wanting to provide details and be as helpful to the F150 Forum as possible. I hope this turns out helpful to anyone deciding to read this post.

First off I'd like to thank the posters that provided some input on stainless steel exhaust piping VS aluminized steel exhaust piping when considering a custom SIDO catback exhaust system for my truck in a previous post. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/alumin...piping-175524/

After the negotiations and considerations, I definitely went with the stainless steel system and received a small break when comparing shops.
Obviously a smart endeavor always.

A 14" SIDO Magnaflow, 3" in, dual 2 1/2" out muffler was purchased, along with dual wall 3" x 3 1/2" tips, 30-degree angle cut. Only one of that specific tip type is available from Magnaflow from what I can tell [Both purchased on Amazon]. The shop was tasked with the custom pipe, muffler, and tip installation.

I had a clear vision of what was desired, and expressed that, this morning to the professional installing the system. Once the description was finished, it hit home when I mentioned the final look desired was to be something of a throwback / retro look to days gone by. Being of similar age he understood instantly. I did not want the current typical installations; dual tips out the side in front of or in back of the passenger rear wheel; 45-degree angle out each side behind the rear wheels, or straight out the back on each side of the spare tire. OH, the spare tire also had to remain in place or it was a deal breaker.

The highest desire was to make sure the main piping stayed as high as possible so it wasn't visible. The thought was to make sure the observer "discovered" the exhaust tip's exit. Next the tips were to flare only slightly to the sides on exit, perhaps 15-degrees or so. Finally, the tips were to point downward at 15- 20-degrees. The point behind this design was to see mostly the exit of the tips and create a highly unique appearance.

In the end the exhaust professional met every vision and expectation, along with a few extra touches - maybe those are normal I don't know. They were appreciated nonetheless. First, he took the time to carefully trim the hangers, heat and bend them to the shape of the pipes and then weld into place tight to the pipe. Second, he made an effort to make a special floating plate and weld it to the exhaust pipe adjacent to the spare tire to make sure the hot pipe would never come close to touching the spare tire. Definitely appreciated.

So I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of the final installation just completed earlier this afternoon. More pictures of the special touches can be provided if anyone wants to see them. I didn't have the opportunity at the time these were taken and thought they might be a little boring since you guys are probably knowledgeable about that simple stuff anyway.

This install couldn't have met my vision any better...ENJOY.

One other thing that some might appreciate. The sound of the system is awesome and met all of my expectations. There is a wee tiny bit of drone at 65 MPH but it can barely be heard even with no music playing. The drone increases slightly at 80 MPH but it not disturbing and nearly disappears when the music is turned on. I love it.

First I have to share the stock look from the rear. Yeah, I know, you all know what the stock look is. But, what the heck, it's worth a reminder.

And now the actual finished product...

I've got to get rid of that Flex Fuel emblem. LOL

Last edited by Big_BlueFX4; 10-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Boss

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks really sharp. I like it.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Mods in Progress

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool! Glad to see your vision come to life. I really like that look.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

that looks great. I love the way they did the tips on it.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great but please post some pics of how it was built. Hate to ask you to crawl under and snap some pics but thats the cool stuff we want to see!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Noob

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats cool!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a solid look. Great job! I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you take it to get it installed and how much did they charge you for custom piping?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM
F-150 Enthusiast

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Got a video???

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 Custom Dual Exhaust