Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminized Steel VS Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping Piping

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Aluminized Steel VS Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping Piping

To some this may seem like a stupid question. However, I'm getting ready to have a custom SIDO cat back exhaust installed on my 2011 5.0 FX4. Of course the system would be welded construction performed by an exhaust shop specializing in this custom exhaust installation.

I purchased a stainless steel (non-polished) 14" Magnaflow SIDO muffler and Magnaflow 3 1/2" dual wall tips with the 30-degree angle cut. There's only one design for this tip in case anyone wonders AND they look awesome in hand. I bought the 14" because when hearing another 2011 5.0 with the 18" and dual tips behind the rear passenger tire it seemed kind of timid.

YES I will post pictures when finished because I'm not planning on the typical installations; straight out the butt, 45-degrees behind each rear wheel and dual tips behind or in front of the rear wheels.

This question is purely for running aluminized steel piping VS stainless steel piping.

My existing pipes are stainless steel. However, one of the two shops I'm planning on using installs only aluminized steel. Their reasoning is this type will never rust out, stainless steel is overrated, and they will provide a lifetime warranty on their installation. Yes, they have been around for a long time; well over 10-years.

I'm looking at $250 aluminized VS $450 stainless steel for the custom installation. At a current quote of just less than twice the difference, why would anyone go the stainless steel route?

As a reference the last SIDO cat back system that was installed on my 1999 F150 was aluminized steel, which was on the truck for over 10-years and never had an issue; other than replacing one hanger that rusted out.

Please give this some thought and your input would be highly appreciated. Preference and reasoning is preferred.

Oh, if you have experience with the Magnaflow 14" SIDO muffler on a 5.0 with regard to performance, sound or any other aspect, feel free to pipe in as well.

Thank you and have a great day.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time go stainless.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Aluminized. Ran it for 10yrs on my dodge and drove that thing through the ocean and mud and snow and what ever else I wanted to. Never rusted and is still on the truck.

If you live in an area where they throw salt down on the road then stainless is worth it. If not, save your money.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the exact set up I went with. 5x8x14 magnaflow SIDO (I left the resonator on) with 3x18 polished stainless tips. Love the sound. Sounds great when it starts and when I get on it, barely louder than stock at highway speeds. I went with all stainless because I plan on keeping this one for a while and didn't want to deal with any issues.

Aluminized Steel VS Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping Piping-image-3172939684.jpg

Aluminized Steel VS Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping Piping-image-190625790.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Big_BlueFX4 (10-07-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Buz

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aluminized steel CAN rust.

Stainless steel WON'T rust.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminized_steel
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually you kind of helped as far as what I would do. Since you mentioned the muffler you purchased is SS then I would opt for SS due to the same metal. Rust also starts when you have 2 or more dissimilar metals in direct contact with one another and are exposed to the elements.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Buz
Aluminized steel CAN rust.

Stainless steel WON'T rust.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminized_steel
X2 stainless is the best for corrosion protection hands down
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

the stainless will last longer if it's a high grade stainless. in my shop i can get a stainless aluminized mix. they call it stainless, But it doesn't look like it lasts as long. the aluminized piping i put on all the big rigs usally last 2-3 years on thier trucks. but they drive alot. i had aluminized on my old 79 ford for 6 years without a problem. but it wasn't drivin much. if it's a high grade stainless it should be the last exhaust you get.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Navy IT

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only time I've seen any issues with the aluminized steel pipes was when the vehicle sits more then it's driven. I used to live in Central PA and my grandfather's F150's pipes rusted on the bottom. I believe it was more for the fact he drove 3-5k a year for 10 years with the truck and there was moisture building up in the pipes on the days he wasn't driving. That said, I've seen a lot of pipes on the road that look just fine. Are you planning on keeping the truck 20 years? If not, I would go the cheaper route.

Quick Reply: Aluminized Steel VS Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping Piping