Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 6.2l hesitates when starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 6.2l hesitates when starting

This just started the other day. When the engine is cold or has sat for a few hours the truck hesitates to start. What I mean is you turn the key to start position and it turns the motor over for 2-4 seconds then it burps its way up to fire up. I've had stalling issue in the past, but this is the first time its hesitated to start. Probably six times in the past two days. Seems to be getting worse each time. The plugs are NGK Iridium's which I put in maybe 25k 30k ago with no issues. I put them in at 60k thinking it would help with the stalling. I think the stalling may be in the tranny and that bad ball valve deal holding the converter to long in the valve body. Anyways, Any idea's? Fuel pump, fuel canister, fuel purge valve, etc. I drive a lot and have gotten fuel from different places so I know its not bad gas. Thanks in advance!

P.S Mileage 107,500
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

At 60K miles you changed the plugs to help with a stalling problem. So from then until now the stalling went away...but now you have the stumbling on start-up issue? Pull the plugs and check the gap hasn't changed as well as the condition of the plugs. I have read in a few places that NGK plug are good plugs to use but stay away from the iridium's, I don't have any insight as to why. Short of that I'd look at the fuel delivery system.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 203 Likes on 169 Posts

There is a TSB about the #27 fuel pump relay fuse melting. There is a relocation kit. Happened to me about a month ago. There is a thread in this section about it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 216 Likes on 123 Posts

Try checking fuse 27 for burn marks. This is the fuel pump fuse and a known issue on the 5.0 and 6.2 engines. There are threads on here about it. Also, how is your battery? It sounds as though your battery may be getting weak. I don't think spark plugs are your issues based on the information provided.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by RogueGT
At 60K miles you changed the plugs to help with a stalling problem. So from then until now the stalling went away...but now you have the stumbling on start-up issue? Pull the plugs and check the gap hasn't changed as well as the condition of the plugs. I have read in a few places that NGK plug are good plugs to use but stay away from the iridium's, I don't have any insight as to why. Short of that I'd look at the fuel delivery system.
Yes I did the plugs for the stalling and No it did not help with the stalling. The plugs were gaped properly and they seem to run like the factory plugs. I wonder why people say not to use iridium?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Missmy06
Try checking fuse 27 for burn marks. This is the fuel pump fuse and a known issue on the 5.0 and 6.2 engines. There are threads on here about it. Also, how is your battery? It sounds as though your battery may be getting weak. I don't think spark plugs are your issues based on the information provided.
Battery is fairly new. Shows good amps and all. It starts very strong.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scarlet
There is a TSB about the #27 fuel pump relay fuse melting. There is a relocation kit. Happened to me about a month ago. There is a thread in this section about it.
Thanks, I'll check into the fuse deal.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 PM

I bought the #27 fuse relocation kit today and installed it. We will see if that helps anything out.