Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 5.4 Fuel Float Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 5.4 Fuel Float Issue

Back in July I purchased a 2010 with the 5.4. About a week after owning it I noticed the fuel gauge would seem to fluctuate like crazy. I have a pretty steep driveway so I assumed it was just because of that at first. But the issue has continued. For example i'll be driving it will read like 115 miles to E then all of a sudden the light will come on saying 50 to E. A few weeks ago I knew it was low on gas, it said something like 35 to E but while warming it up it ran out of gas in the driveway. Added over 5 gallons to it needle did not move and the Miles to E stayed the same also. Drove to the gas station pumped about 15 more gallons and the needle or miles to E did not change. Stayed that way for a good 4 days. I assume the float is bad/getting stuck. I had a guy (retired GM dealership tech) tell me to run some good fuel cleaner through it and see if it changes anything. I bought some BG fuel cleaner today and am going to add it this weekend. I figured I'll try that before buying and installing a new float but has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any input on it? Truck has just over 100k on it.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the fuel level is sensed via a potentiometer strip which is part of the pump assy. I don't THINK it's independently serviceable. -- P.S. You need more aggressive tires and brighter lights.....
The following users liked this post:
AMRiley23 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Float

I, too, am experiencing the same issue.
I have a 2010, 4x4 Lariat Supercab, 157"WB, 5.4L V8, 6 speed trans. Currently showing 181,568 miles.
Recently the fuel gauge has been acting up. When ever I start the truck to warm up, and let it idle for a few minutes, the gauge will peg to full and stay there. As I drive, the gauge will slowly drop, but not to where I know about how much fuel I have left in the tank.
Or, if the gauge show about where the fuel level should be, the needle will hoover around the 3/4 mark. I have been setting my trip odometer to zero when ever I get gas, and when I hit the 150 mile mark, I fuel up again. I really don't know how much gas I have in the tank, when the gauge shows a higher reading when I arrive at my destination then when I left.
The following users liked this post:
AMRiley23 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2011 XLT 5.0 and I had a similar problem. While driving the fuel gauge and Miles to Empty would drop rapidly. The first time I thought that the fuel tank had ruptured, checked that and headed for a gas station. I filled up with about 10 gals (36 gal tank) and all seemed normal. This happened about 3 more times before I went to the dealer. They checked it out and replaced the fuel pump/sending unit. Shortly after we took a trip to OH and the problem showed up again. I went to a dealer in OH and they talked to the dealer at home that replaced the pump/sending unit. This dealer replaced the pump/sending unit for the 2nd time. The next day the problem raised it's ugly head again, back to the OH dealer. After much talking to other techs, it was determined to be caused by the instrument cluster. I didn't have the time for repairs then due to heading back to AZ. When I got home I went to my local dealer and let them know what I'd found out in OH. They changed out the instrument cluster and all has been fine since then.
The following 2 users liked this post by blkmesamtman:
AMRiley23 (12-14-2018), trackbarclowns (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm very interesting, thanks for that info! Glad I'm not the only one.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.4 Fuel Float Issue