Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Volt power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 Volt power

I am trying to find some 12 volt power to wire a CB radio, GPS and an after market sirius, I have looked all over but can't seem to find 12 volt ignition off and 12 volt ignition on. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM

I too am looking for this. Help is much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Im not electrical god by any means....but what about running it off your 12v power outlet on your dash. Its close to the radio and it will turn on and off with your ignition...unless its wired differently then my GTI was. I ran an amplifier off of a 12v power outlet...worked like a champ. I turned the car on..power came on...turned the power off...power shut off.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by chsnprodigy
Im not electrical god by any means....but what about running it off your 12v power outlet on your dash. Its close to the radio and it will turn on and off with your ignition...unless its wired differently then my GTI was. I ran an amplifier off of a 12v power outlet...worked like a champ. I turned the car on..power came on...turned the power off...power shut off.
the 12voly in the f-150 does not power off with your ignition. always on.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by spherical
the 12voly in the f-150 does not power off with your ignition. always on.

Well sqaush that idea...what about running it straight from the battery? The CB should have a power switch on it....but if you have a DVD/NAV system your trying to put in you have to find that remote turn on wire....
Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 PM

OK I got it. I took apart all of the dash removed the radio and probed around for a ignition on off 12 volts. The memory for the radio doen't even appear to be 12 v. its some lower voltage ( don't remember now ). I used the cigar lighter for the 12 volts constant and found 12 v. ig on off under the hood. There is a wire harness for the trailer on the driver side attached to the wheel well. In that haness there is a red wire that I believe is used to charge the trailer battery. If you don't have power on that red wire you may need to install the fuse that came with the trailer tow stuff. I then ran a wire from there thru the fire wall. There is a rubber boot just above the hood release cable. That rubber boot has a dimple in it that I poked a hole in and ran the wire thru.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 PM

See post #7 in the following thread for a neat way of getting power from the fuse box.

link - see reply #7
Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM

you have a couple of options to wire in the power for detector. You can buy a spade made for tapping into the fuse panel itself. It clips over the fuse spade and you plug it into the same spot as the fuse. The other option would be to get the multi-meter out and find a switched 12v source. When the ignition is turned off it will also turn off detector. Probe the backside of any of the connections shown in your pictures to see which ones carry 12V when ignition is on then tap into that wire. I would stay away from anything that runs the ignition sytem though to alleviate any voltage drop to major components in ignition.

I plan on hard wiring my detector and GPS in the same manner. I think I will install another 4 bay fuse block elsewhere in the cab maybe behind the stereo or somewhere similar. That way in the future I can tap into that block for lights or any other accesory without disturbing the factory harness. Tapping into the factory harness could void warranties if they still apply.

TJH[/quote]
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 PM

Interesting and timely thread. I need a new 12v outlet for my GPS. I don't like to have the wire running across the dash. I've mounted it nicely to the left of the steering wheel.

I've pondered tapping into a 12V somewhere behind the dash like the accessory outlet.

I think I've settled on just running a new hot wire from the battery with an inline 30A fuse. That way I have my own 30A circuit coming into the dash. I can use it for my 12 V socket which I will install under the dash for the GPS now and then I have it there for anything else I need it for. I'm somewhat paranoid about mucking with the electrical system of any vehicle which is why I finally decided on doing this. This is how I did it on my tractor as well to install a new circuit for worklamps.

I have not yet decided if I REALLY need my GPS outlet to power off when the ignition powers off - easy enough for me to turn it off. Would be nice for it to power off on its own - it will do this by default as soon as it loses external power (gives you the option to let it keep going on battery or powers itself off in 30 seconds). In order to do this what I might do is add a relay. I did the same on my tractor as well for my worklights as my kids like ot play with the switches when I am not around.

You can safely get the trigger voltage from any wire which is hot when the ignition is on without concern about the trigger of the relay sucking up much power from where ever you are triggering. It is just used to close the relay. Since you are a Canuck like me, you can get these generic relays at Princess Auto for 7.99.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
2009 FX4 SCrew

justme64ca - please post some pictures when you're done. I would like to put a CB in my truck as well and I'm looking for ideas on mounting it. -thx

Quick Reply: 12 Volt power