Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

UCA Caster Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went into Ford today to get an alignment and they pulled me into the back to talk about it when they looked at it. I have a 2013 F150 XLT with 53,000 miles on it but I have Fox 2.5 shocks and have them set to about 2.5" and I also have Camburg upper control arms. He said the way my control arm bushing are located I will never have caster within specs no matter what he does. He said this could ruin my steering gear which could run me about $3500. I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue and I've seen guys with the same exact setups as me with the same exact trucks. My question is is this true and is there anyway I can fix it without putting my stock control arms back on? I should add that they weren't trying to sell me anything or get money for anything. In fact they took money off due to not being able to get my caster within specs.

Last edited by dmonahan1; 05-13-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Pics?

I didn't think the basic UCAs were adjustable - meaning they are at stock spec.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 PM

With the Camburgs, it seems that the uniball joint is less centered while the stock ones are more symmetrical. The picture of the Camburg UCA is the passenger side while the second picture is of the drivers side. I'll take a better one of the driver side when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails UCA Caster Issues-image-1928293081.jpg   UCA Caster Issues-image-1088223939.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by WarSurfer
Pics? I didn't think the basic UCAs were adjustable - meaning they are at stock spec.
I agree. You'd think the control arms would have exact angles as to avoid these things, and this is the first I've ever heard of the issue as UCAs are not uncommon.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

This is the second time in as many months that I've heard of issues with the Camburg UCAs. I (gladly) have the Icons and my alignment guy was able to get everything "within specs". There is a lot of positive caster on these trucks OEM.

Is your caster + or - ? If it's minus, all you *may* feel is that the steering wheel won't snap back to center as freely. If it's plus, then you will notice the steering wheel a tiny bit harder to turn especially in slow (parking lot stuff) turning. No real harm if within a degree or two, just an annoyance. Camber is more of a tire-wear issue (along with toe in/out).
The following users liked this post:
dmonahan1 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
This is the second time in as many months that I've heard of issues with the Camburg UCAs. I (gladly) have the Icons and my alignment guy was able to get everything "within specs". There is a lot of positive caster on these trucks OEM.

Is your caster + or - ? If it's minus, all you *may* feel is that the steering wheel won't snap back to center as freely. If it's plus, then you will notice the steering wheel a tiny bit harder to turn especially in slow (parking lot stuff) turning. No real harm if within a degree or two, just an annoyance. Camber is more of a tire-wear issue (along with toe in/out).
At the very most it is a degree and a half positive. The steering feels great I have absolutely no issues with how it feels, the guy just scared me a bit when he said it could break my steering which could run me around $3500 to replace.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 PM

I guess basically my question is, is slight excess in caster going to break my truck?
Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Who ever told you the adjustment was at the upper arms is obviously not an alignment tech, the camber/caster adjustment is done at the lower control arms on these trucks. Here's an example, my own truck when I put the lift kit on it. Without the lift kit there are solid plates that need to be removed and eccentrics put in place. There's more than enough adjustment to get it in spec.

I suggest you find someone that knows what their doing, and yes I aligned my truck my self, one of my specialties.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Who ever told you the adjustment was at the upper arms is obviously not an alignment tech, the camber/caster adjustment is done at the lower control arms on these trucks. Here's an example, my own truck when I put the lift kit on it. Without the lift kit there are solid plates that need to be removed and eccentrics put in place. There's more than enough adjustment to get it in spec. I suggest you find someone that knows what their doing, and yes I aligned my truck my self, one of my specialties. .
He explained to my about the adjustments being in the lower control arms but he was explaining that with the geometry of the upper control arms that there was absolutely no way he could it within specs. I will absolutely take it to get a second opinion but in the meantime, my truck will be okay correct? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by dmonahan1
He explained to my about the adjustments being in the lower control arms but he was explaining that with the geometry of the upper control arms that there was absolutely no way he could it within specs. I will absolutely take it to get a second opinion but in the meantime, my truck will be okay correct? Thanks!
I can't say without knowing what it's set at, if it has real excessive positive caster it will put more stress on the rack-n-pinion during parking lot maneuvers.

Quick Reply: UCA Caster Issues