Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

stuck in 4 high, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck in 4 high, need help!!!

ok the 4x4 light is on not low range but i dont think its engaged, i went in my field in a mud pit hit the gas and just the back tires were spinning not the front, but the front drive shaft is turning. i have the switch inside the truck for the 4x4 and when i turn it nothing happens no clicks or anything. i think my hubs are stuck locked. how do i unlock them manually and how do i get the 4x4 light off and out of 4H

i have a 1999 f150 4x4 lariat with the 5.4l v8 with a 3" leveling kit.

this is when it started, me and my mom went camping at lake texoma, we tried driving on the beach but it was too wet and the truck would not switch into 4L but it went into 4H i tried pulling down there almost got stuck pulled out of the beach then it wouldnt shift into 2H left it alone and then had to drive home the next day 60 miles away. please help i dont want to drive it till its fixed!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem in my 97 I had to go in reverse for a bit then shut the truck off turn it back on then turned the switch to disengage it worked for me but if it doesn't I would then tap the motor on the transfer case with butt of a hammer
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 AM

i tried that though i went in reverse all the way out into my field almost a mile of reverse. and tapped it with a hammer, still nothing. i don't know if there's power getting to my switch or if power is, if the switch doesn't work. also i found out i don't have locking hubs it does it in the axel. and i don't know how to check that either. i think i'm going to bring it to a shop and get it diagnosed, what i find out i'll post.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 AM

why do you think its not dis-engauged?!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Foxhound_22
why do you think its not dis-engauged?!
It could be your bearings are shot or your hubs are frozen. Both have happened to me and the symptoms sound the same.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM

From what i've found your problem is the motor on the back of the transfer case is stuck. I've gotten the motor to move by placing the truck in neutral and turning the switch to 2wd and hit the motor with a hammer.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 AM

Well this truck doesn't have locking hubs it does it in the front differential, I took the t-case motor off and it's in 2h but the 4x4 light is on. So theres a few problems the lights on, the front diff. Is stuck locked and it won't switch into 4x4 so either the switch isn't working or the t-case motor is bad. And for the diff. Problem either the solonoids aren't getting power to them or there's a vaccum leak. I'm putting it in the ford house to diagnose it to know for sure tomorrow. I will update then and add photos and whatnot when I fix it for anyone with the same problem.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 PM

if your shaft if moving your t-case is fine it may be a vac leek

Quick Reply: stuck in 4 high, need help!!!