Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Stock Skid Plates 2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Highwayman 2020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Skid Plates 2011

Knowing full well that the stock skid plates are pretty much useless for any thing offroad, has anyone tried stacking the stock plates?
Stock ones are fairly light, but if they where stacked two at a time, or even three (third one with some cutting into a skeleton and stacked in the middle).
It might provide some decent protection, at a decent price.
Or maybe I should keep my "road trip thoughts" to myself.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by solodriver13
Knowing full well that the stock skid plates are pretty much useless for any thing offroad, has anyone tried stacking the stock plates?
Stock ones are fairly light, but if they where stacked two at a time, or even three (third one with some cutting into a skeleton and stacked in the middle).
It might provide some decent protection, at a decent price.
Or maybe I should keep my "road trip thoughts" to myself.
I'm not sure the differences between the stock plates on a 2011 vs my 2015 but my biggest concern was lack of coverage. Your idea could be made to work. 2 stock plates stacked should be pretty damn strong but coverage is still an issue.

My opinion is just buy the RCI skids. They still aren't super thick at only 10ga but I've bashed mine on rocks and have been winched over rocks and they held up and protected things well. Plus, they are priced quite reasonably. Full set is about 500 bucks + shipping.

Stock vs RCI:

High centered on rocks:
The following users liked this post:
solodriver13 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM

Default RCI Skid plates

How fast does RCI ship after you place your order? Does the kit come with all the mounting hardware?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by maximusnd
How fast does RCI ship after you place your order? Does the kit come with all the mounting hardware?
I don't recall how long it took to receive but I don't remember being upset so it must have been reasonable. Yes, it did come with all mounting hardware.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Highwayman 2020

Default Stock VS aftermarket (RCI)

Originally Posted by overlandFX4
I'm not sure the differences between the stock plates on a 2011 vs my 2015 but my biggest concern was lack of coverage. Your idea could be made to work. 2 stock plates stacked should be pretty damn strong but coverage is still an issue.

My opinion is just buy the RCI skids. They still aren't super thick at only 10ga but I've bashed mine on rocks and have been winched over rocks and they held up and protected things well. Plus, they are priced quite reasonably. Full set is about 500 bucks + shipping.

Stock vs RCI:

High centered on rocks:
Thanks for laying out the stock VS aftermarket next to each other. This tells a better story, especially for transmission/transfer case/Fuel tank protection.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by solodriver13
Thanks for laying out the stock VS aftermarket next to each other. This tells a better story, especially for transmission/transfer case/Fuel tank protection.
not my pic. I found it on the net somewhere. My front skid is 1 piece. I think the older design is 2. My trasmission was only covered by sound deadening foam.

I'm still running the stock composite fuel tank skid. It's taken some light hits and held up admirably so far. I do want to upgrade though.