Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Regular off/rough long(ish) distance commute. Damage/wear questions of concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regular off/rough long(ish) distance commute. Damage/wear questions of concern

Generally, my lifestyle includes lots of dirt roads. Which I like.

I'm working on a project that is located 15 miles down a dirt road. But not just a dirt road. It's 95% rocky washboard .
Today I had to haul ash to get back to civ for other stuff. And I mobbed it. Likely hardest driven this think yet. I know I could drive 1 mile per hour and that would reduce impact of course . I've aired down from 43 - 32. That helps a bit .
Trucks not in perfect shape, and I'm planning to go long travel with kings )) finally! But with all this abuse a gnarly vibration occurring what should I be checking for safety etc. and possible obvious concerns of damaging certain components?
Current running 4" spindle lift , 35's on 17" oe rapt wheel. iCoN tubular uni UCA. Fabtech dual steering stabilizers (which are now both leaking, and last and least. Bilstein 5100 at lowest perch. I'm really not digging these struts. For them to push the front up to clear 35"s .
Also my 4x is non op . Yet to diag. Get this rattling wind blow whistle sound on some hill climbs....
And also need to throw in a set of inner tie rods that have been collecting dust on their fresh new boxes . Also picked up iwe sol and iwe vac hubs.m
I'll stop rambling. If you have any thoughts concerns ideas you feel like sharing I'd be forever grateful. As I'm a n00b. On the steep curve of learning (often through error
And I'm super stoked on modding remodeling my truck (04 lariat 4x) which this entire scene is very new to me..
Any experienced wise men with a little guidance / beta ?
Danke gracias
Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

You like to mod and have fun with your truck that's a good thing. but most of the things and acts you describe do not contribute to longevity all you can do is check it often and if its loose tighten it if its bent or broken replace it. mods can be expensive long after there paid for so keep your check book handy.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

for that type of terrain you'll want to run the coilovers at a soft/med setting. I also wouldn't preload them (use them to lift the truck). That's just a comfort thing, your speed will ultimately be limited by suspension travel.
The following users liked this post:
dasswright (10-09-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. I should probably have two trucks like I used to. One for work one for other. But it all combines on a daily basis. And the hassle of two trucks on top of horses motorcycles and everything.trying to get the ideal setup going to accomadate my diverse needs.
Planning for a jd long travel kit. Basically rebuild my front end, gears, and learn more about, everything.
Maintanence . I've never dropped my trans pan, flushed steering fluid , fuel filter, oil stuff...
Got an oil pressure gauge almost in. Just need to connect to gauge. I've got so much to learn , and on a steep curve. Always trying to get beta from the experienced. To minimize to screw ups. Seems I go in and mess things up before I figure out the proper approach , etc. my experience thus far with this truck has been quite educational, rough, stressful , inn effecient , and very expensive.
Yep
Appreciate the response

Quick Reply: Regular off/rough long(ish) distance commute. Damage/wear questions of concern