Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Locking Diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Locking Diff

Anyone had any problems with the factory locking diff unlocking while you are in the thick of it. If it unlocks at 30 MPH you would not have to be gunning it much for that to happen even if you are mostly stationary in the mud.

Also can anyone hear thier diff lock or unlock while parked in a parking lot. I cannot hear or feel anything happening.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 1,288 Likes on 904 Posts

There may be times where allowing it to be locked at higher wheel speeds would be nice. But I think Ford is doing the right thing by having it unlock above 30 mph. In the long run it would do more harm than good if that feature weren't included. People would forget to unlock it when driving on highways and do serious damage.

A locking diff is more for finesse work anyway. If you're muscling your way out of something it is less beneficial. I like having a locking diff. But I've been driving 4X4's in some pretty bad places since the 1970's. Never had a locking diff until 2007 and I've only NEEDED it once since then. It comes in handy when rock crawling and you end up with only one real wheel on the ground more than anything else. I don't do much of that.

And I can't feel anything when shifting in or out. I can tell a difference when driving locked. I get out on a gravel road every so often to lock it and make sure all is still working.

Quick Reply: Locking Diff