Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Lift kit for off-road use

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit for off-road use

I have a bone stock 2016 4x4 Sport that I'm going to be modifying for frequent off-road use. I want to run either 35" or 37" tires. I'm looking at lifts from companies such as BDS and Zone that have spacers up front (along with the differential drop) and lift blocks in the rear. I'm wondering if anyone is running these kits off-road and if there are any issues? I'm worried about axle wrap in the rear, particularly with the 6" lift.

I mainly overland and rarely rock crawl although some tough obstacles are often encountered. I'm not going to be taking this on dunes or racing around in OHV parks. My current primary 4x4 is a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited on a 4.5" lift and 37" tires.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2022, 04:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 30 Posts

I have same year 4WD. I personally feel 6" is too much for what you are describing you want to do. I do alot of overlanding and I have had no real issues with my height. The most extreme off-roading I've done is Mengel Pass and Lippincpott Rd down in Death Valley. I have sliders and full skid-plates. Keep in mind that if your overlanding you'll be in and out of the bed of your truck often so the added height may make that cumbersome.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:39 PM

Good looking rig. We run the same trails. What lift and tire size do you have on yours? Also, what sliders did you go with?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by emsmatt
I have same year 4WD. I personally feel 6" is too much for what you are describing you want to do. I do alot of overlanding and I have had no real issues with my height. The most extreme off-roading I've done is Mengel Pass and Lippincpott Rd down in Death Valley. I have sliders and full skid-plates. Keep in mind that if your overlanding you'll be in and out of the bed of your truck often so the added height may make that cumbersome.
Good looking rig. We run the same trails. What lift and tire size do you have on yours?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2022, 05:42 PM
has left the building

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I'd probably want a 4" lift just for basic use. I had a 4" on a previous vehicle and it was sufficient. I didn't do anything type of offroad where more was needed, didn't really 'need' 4" either for myself.

As you know, a 4" vs 6" will help with approach and departure angles, and not much else aside from fitting the 37" tire size. The difference in ground clearance below the diff is marginal between the 2 tire sizes. If you need maximum ground clearance, you'll need the 37" tires. The benefit is approach/departure angles.

Depending on your cab configuration, you may truly benefit from the 6" for the angles. These trucks are pretty long if you've got the big cab.

I haven't really done a lot of homework, but I don't think there are 4" kits out there using spacers to lift. If so, I don't think that would be a quality route to entertain. The 6" kits, some of them, give you a 4" kit plus either a spacer or extended coilovers to get the 6" height. The same 6" kit obviously then lowers the diff the same amount as a 4". Effectively this makes it very similar to a 2" leveled truck in terms of assembly and ride quality.

Last edited by 16IngotFX4; 02-04-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:45 PM

Most of the kits I see are spacer lifts with new knuckles and a drop for the differential. Even if you go with a longer front coilover instead of a spacer you still don't gain any travel. Right now I'm looking at one from Zone.

I have the supercab with a 6.5' bed so I believe the overall length is the same as the crew cab with the short bed.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:50 PM

Thank you! I have just a spacer lift of about 2.5". I am installing Bilstein 6112 upfront and 5160 in the rear with new UCA's in 2 weeks. I have 35's. Just ordered new Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35/12.5/17.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Forgot to add that I have Rocky-Road Outfitters sliders and could not be happier with them. Very sturdy and have taken some good use with nothing more than cratched powder coating.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:15 AM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

I have a 2015 supercrew with a BDS 6" coilover lift on 37's that I off-road frequently. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I haven't had any problems with axle wrap.

As for as the method for lifting, you can do either strut spacers or extended coilovers, like you mentioned. The strut spacers are the size of the lift (so either a 4" spacer or a 6" spacer), and the same for extended coilovers (either a 4" extended coilover, or a 6" extended coilover). The diff drop is usually the same for both size lifts, around 5". So a 6" lift has about the same suspension geometry as a 1" level.

I have a 6" lift because I'm in Florida and frequently in deep mud holes or crossing over downed trees and logs. I need all the height I can get to keep the frame and body out of the mud and not hung up on the trees. Depending on the terrain you'll be on, a 4" on 35's might be just as good. If you're going to be using a roof rack or roof top tent that's going to make the total height even higher, keep that in mind too.

Last edited by Florida_F150; 02-06-2022 at 12:11 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Florida_F150:
5point_slo (02-21-2022), BigShan808 (08-14-2023), CrankCase (02-08-2022), offroad-anarchy (02-10-2022), Rocky217 (06-12-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 06:48 PM

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Have you considered doing a Raptor suspension swap? For roughly the cost of a quality drop bracket lift kit, you can get increased wheel travel and useable suspension travel. To run 35s, glass or OEM raptor fenders are needed but it’s still a better bang for the buck. I did a full Gen 1 raptor front and Gen 2 rear suspension swap on my 2018, and currently running 33 1150 tires without any rubbing. It’s even working at full compression (tires very slightly touch the fenders if I land hard) but otherwise it’s working great.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:28 AM

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I second the Raptor conversion. If you keep your stock width rear axle the swap should not be that hard and you gain wheel travel.

You can also go way off the deep end if you don't want to find take off Raptor parts - I essentially have an aftermarket Raptor conversion on my F150 - build thread here: https://www.f150forum.com/f34/21-pow...-build-512974/

I'm really happy with how it performs, but cost wise it is WAY beyond the two lifts you are looking into. If I wanted to I can fit 37's without an issue.
The following users liked this post:
CrankCase (02-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Lift kit for off-road use