Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Fox or King?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox or King?

Hey everyone! New to the forum ad really excited to take part! I have a 2010 fx4 6.5 ft bed. I do a loooot of really fast off-road driving in the Arizona desert and I’m curious on your guys opinions. I am looking at the 2.5 coilovers with the resis for the front and 2.5s in the rear as well. Would you guys recommend the fox or the kings, kings advertise 3.5 inches of lift in the front but I imagine that is with new upper ca’s? And would you recommend going upper ca’s or is that something that can be done down the road! Thanks!

Old 04-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

UCA's can be done down the road but it does increase your front travel from factory 7"-8" to 9"-10". Obviously this is quite a bit when going faster and would make a good difference.

As far as Fox or King, it depends on what you want. King usually is more off road biased shock so will feel a little stiffer on pavement and small bumps but be better at speed off road. Fox is a little more biased to being in the middle and decent for both but you will notice more fade off road. Granted these can change if you get custom valving done.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 04-12-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
UCA's can be done down the road but it does increase your front travel from factory 7"-8" to 9"-10". Obviously this is quite a bit when going faster and would make a good difference.

As far as Fox or King, it depends on what you want. King usually is more off road biased shock so will feel a little stiffer on pavement and small bumps but be better at speed off road. Fox is a little more biased to being in the middle and decent for both but you will notice more fade off road. Granted these can change if you get custom valving done.
thanks for the input, given the price difference I think fox will be an excellent choice! Does anyone have any discount codes for the resis?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRedWagon
thanks for the input, given the price difference I think fox will be an excellent choice! Does anyone have any discount codes for the resis?
Spring for the DSC adjustment! Well worth it.

Also try to order from these guys as they custom valve them and it is included in the purchase.
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product-...150-2013-2009/
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRedWagon
Hey everyone! New to the forum ad really excited to take part! I have a 2010 fx4 6.5 ft bed. I do a loooot of really fast off-road driving in the Arizona desert and I’m curious on your guys opinions. I am looking at the 2.5 coilovers with the resis for the front and 2.5s in the rear as well. Would you guys recommend the fox or the kings, kings advertise 3.5 inches of lift in the front but I imagine that is with new upper ca’s? And would you recommend going upper ca’s or is that something that can be done down the road! Thanks!
If you do a 'looot' of 'really fast off road driving', then you must already have experience with good off-road suspension, 'cuz stock doesn't go fast. For long..
What do you prefer?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by yokev
If you do a 'looot' of 'really fast off road driving', then you must already have experience with good off-road suspension, 'cuz stock doesn't go fast. For long..
What do you prefer?
Just finished my second hunting season with my truck and the stock fx4 shocks are essentially blown, lots of 30-50 morph rough road cruising... was just curious if anyone had any first hand testemonies of the likes or dislikes between the two.. not a lot of info out on the king 2.5s
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Fox or King 2.5’s will give you the same off-road capabilities. Setup correctly both will also run on the highway very smooth.

I have Kings and absolutely love them. The important part is getting them valves properly so like the guy above said pick a good shop.

You will get the same lift out of the both of them as they are both adjustable. Don’t preload the daylights out of either or you will lose all downtravel. Aftermarket UCA’s help with the increased downtravel which is really nice.

My setup is is in my signature. Let me know if you have specific questions after viewing.

Get 35’s too. They are fun. Easily fit with some sheet metal cutting.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kkline
Fox or King 2.5’s will give you the same off-road capabilities. Setup correctly both will also run on the highway very smooth.

I have Kings and absolutely love them. The important part is getting them valves properly so like the guy above said pick a good shop.

You will get the same lift out of the both of them as they are both adjustable. Don’t preload the daylights out of either or you will lose all downtravel. Aftermarket UCA’s help with the increased downtravel which is really nice.

My setup is is in my signature. Let me know if you have specific questions after viewing.

Get 35’s too. They are fun. Easily fit with some sheet metal cutting.
thanks for the info, I’m leveled running general x3s right now. Do you happen to have any info on if you can run gen 2 raptor rear shocks on a 2010?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I’m sure you could and that is an interesting idea. The shock locations are exactly the same on the regular f150’s as the raptors. The raptor rear blocks are 3” vs the regular f150 at 1 1/2”. Alternatively an add a leaf will also give you 1 1/2” more rear lift too plus the rear squats less under load.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been running the King 2.5's in my F150 for a little over a year now and had to take some of the factory preload out of them lowering the overall height. I did gain down travel by doing this since the factory preload on mine basically had the uniballs on my dirt king uca's nearly maxed out. I love the 2.5's only wish I had ordered them with Kings wide range compression adjuster (Kings version of Fox's DSC) for more tunability. I would highly suggest changing your upper control arms at the same time as your coilovers to reduce the chance of your ball joint having a catastrophic failure with the added stress of the lift placed on it from the extreme angle.

Quick Reply: Fox or King?