Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Changing factory installed side mirrors to extendable towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing factory installed side mirrors to extendable towing mirrors

Does anyone have experience with changing out the side mirrors on a Platinum series truck? I recently bought a 2016 F150 Platinum. It is my personal everyday vehicle but I also will use it to tow a 36 foot travel trailer. The truck came with the factory installed power folding yada, yada, yada side mirrors. I would like to change those out for the power extendable towing mirrors. When I inquired about changing them the dealer told me it's prohibitively expensive, the electronics wont match, mounting plates would be needed etc... It didn't quite make sense to me because if I had been able to order the mirrors during the build the only prerequisite was the tow package which the truck is already equipped with. I understand I might lose some of the electronic functionalities of the original mirrors but my question is; can I change out the original factory installed Platinum series side mirrors with a pair of Ford power extendable towing mirrors?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a thread on it in the 2015+ section - https://www.f150forum.com/f118/retro...rs-xlt-309210/
Thats retrofitting them on an xlt but it will probably cover your case as well
Old 06-10-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Oh man, wish I had seen this on Thursday! I passed on my first truck choice because it had the big Super Duty mirrors that you want. The dealer said it would cost approx $2k to change to normal mirrors.....so i passed on the deal. I would have met up with you and swapped mirrors (and interior buttons so you'd get the extension buttons) with you if I'd seen this. Ugh.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread --but do the factory tow mirrors have the BLIS built into them? Just got a 2017 F 150 Lariat on Thursday--tried to find a unit with tow mirrors for over a month--was told the special financing would not work with a factory order. Have the regular power folding mirrors --like the BLIS system and wouldn't want to shell out the 2K and loose it
Thanks

Quick Reply: Changing factory installed side mirrors to extendable towing mirrors