Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Tire recommendation other than Nitto Terra Grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire recommendation other than Nitto Terra Grapplers

Right now I have 275/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers and I gotta say I am not impressed with this tire.

When the weathers cold and so are the tires, these things shake like a **** as soon as you get up to 65-70mph. Only after the tires warm up which usually talked 10-15 min on my morning commute does the shaking subside.

I've put about 12,000+ miles on these and I'm probably left with 30-40% tire. Now since these are my first all terrain truck tires, I'm assuming thats not that great?

Seeing how these tires are coming to the end of their life, I'm looking for new ones that are less frustrating than these Nittos and one's that will fill my wheel well a bit better now that I have my trucked leveled out.

I'm thinking about going with 33's in:
BF Goodrich All Terrain 305/55/20
or
Toyo Open Country M/T Mud Tires 33x12.50R20

Any recommendation, feedback, experiences?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive always had BF goodrich A/Ts and really liked them..... do you off-road often?? I did not off-road with these tires for "fun" but work, and they handled in mud around 6" deep with no problem, decent in snow as well. I had 315/70/17. just my 2 cents for using the brand/model. performance may change with size but hope this helps..some ppl say they are an out-dated tire.... but i have had good luck with them and you will find MANY trucks and suv's with them on.

sorry no experience with the toyo's....
The following users liked this post:
Pete_Eco_XLT (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

The BFG A/T KO is probably going to be your best bet. I like the looks of the Toyo M/T a lot and have considered them for my truck but I have customers all the time saying their wives/children/gf can't stand the noise from them.

The BFG KO is a safe choice, it's a well proven tire, has been around for a while, and does the job well.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too like the BFG A/T. I just had a set of 305/65/18's put on my truck. They have a nice ride and are known for lasting a long time. The guy who mounted the tires was impressed by how little weigh the wheels took to balance.

Henry
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of Toyo Open Country MT.
I loved them!

However, you are comparing apples to oranges here. Both tires you have mentioned are really for different uses.

Are you looking for a tire that should perform well on and light off roading and that lasts for 40-60k? Then get the BFG.

Are you looking for a tire that performs excellent off road, and well on road but will only last a max of 35k? Then get the Toyos

The Toyo MTs were not that loud on my 250. My girlfriend and I could hold a normal conversation at highway speeds with these on. Towards the end of the tread life, they did start getting louder. Would I buy another set once the stocks are worn off my 150? Definitely. I have also been in a Jeep with the BFGs that were not taken care of properly, and they vibrated and made a ton of noise.

Oh, and they look great!

Last edited by stuffdeer; 11-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyo M/t's!! I've been running a set of 295/70R17's for about 6 months and still look brand new(approx. 7k miles). As far as the noise they're not much different than the Toyo H/t's that came on the truck, at least my fiancee doesn't complain about them. Sorry no experience with the BFG's, happy tire shopping!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM

+1 to depending on intended use or if its just the look you are after
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 PM

HANK: do you have pictures you could post??
Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple pics.

Hope this helps,

Henry
EfJuanFiddy (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuffdeer
I had a set of Toyo Open Country MT.
I loved them!

However, you are comparing apples to oranges here. Both tires you have mentioned are really for different uses.

Are you looking for a tire that should perform well on and light off roading and that lasts for 40-60k? Then get the BFG.

Are you looking for a tire that performs excellent off road, and well on road but will only last a max of 35k? Then get the Toyos

The Toyo MTs were not that loud on my 250. My girlfriend and I could hold a normal conversation at highway speeds with these on. Towards the end of the tread life, they did start getting louder. Would I buy another set once the stocks are worn off my 150? Definitely. I have also been in a Jeep with the BFGs that were not taken care of properly, and they vibrated and made a ton of noise.

Oh, and they look great!

Nice looking truck. Thanks for the feedback. I'm basically looking for a tire that looks good, like the Toyos and will last a little longer than the Nitto's have. I don't do any off-roading, I'm just a sucker for the look. I don't mind the sound just as long as they don't vibrate like my Nitto's do.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendation other than Nitto Terra Grapplers