Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

'17 F-150 Tire Cupping. 6,000 Miles. BFG KO2. BDS 4" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '17 F-150 Tire Cupping. 6,000 Miles. BFG KO2. BDS 4" Lift

At 4,000 miles on a new '17 F-150 Lariat 157" 4x4 I installed a BDS 4" lift. I used the stock front shocks (ie no upgraded coilovers). New BFG KO2 LT285/65R20's. At 35psi. Borla 1.5" Wheel Spacers. I made it a point to go with a 4" lift versus a leveling kit to avoid long term tire and suspension component failures. Guess I over thought that.

At 10,000 miles (6,000 since tires/lift) I have bad cupping on the inside of the front tires. I feel disgusted because I heard the increase in road noise but because of my work I was leaving home before sun up and arriving after sun down, while being quite exhausted. I should have made it a point to check sooner. Now that I'm slowed down working I've finally investigated.

The truck was aligned at a shop and lift suspension inspected while I had the tech under there to verify lift installation. Tires balanced. I was in the shop with the guys as they were doing it and I was quite satisfied with the attention to detail to get things right.

I do quite a bit of farm business at this shop, I have a good rapport, and they work on many lifted 1/2-1 ton trucks with larger tires. I felt great after leaving The truck drove amazing. And it still does.

I have an appointment in 2 days to rotate and verify alignment to make sure something hasn't changed. I suspect by the way it drives we won't find much out of alignment.

In any case I'm not sure if I'll ever get the front tires to ride quiet again after this severe of cupping. Aside from the "rotate every 5,000 miles" which was also on the list this week anyways. Will I be able to stop this if the alignment comes back okay?

Would upgrading the front shocks to a Fox or Halo Boss Lifts Front coilovers keep more adequate road contact? I drive the truck aggressively on country roads. Blacktop and chip and seal.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/985...Coilovers.html

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/F15...lover-Kit.html

Do I have any room for a warranty/defect case?

Inside versus Outside

Inside Front

Outside Front

Inside Front

Outside Front

Inside Front

Outside Front

Last edited by skywagon; 08-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

You should get the truck back into the shop to re-torque all your new suspension parts and do another wheel alignment. I had there same problem on mine. That was my solution! But you do not have a case for warranty because of the aftermarket lift!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

Plus 35 psi is too low for those tires