Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Weird issue after Forscan/DSP install

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Weird issue after Forscan/DSP install

So here’s the quick and dirty of my issue. This weekend I did the forscan mod to remove the factory eq and turn the speaker outputs to low level. I snipped the front speaker wires and used 9 wire run to my dsp where I soldered on my rca ends. I then used 4 wires in the 9 wire to run from the amp up to the front to tap into the factory speaker harness. I also snipped the rear speaker wires because I was going to use those channels but I need another run of wire. I ran new speaker wire from my tweeters to the amp. I’m having some weird issues.

Firstly, I’m having a loss of output at my right tweeter. It’s playing but it doesn’t sound like it’s getting the full signal. I also found that my Pionner Champion series amps don’t immediately turn on and off with the dsp when I turn off the truck when the rcas are plugged in. I remove the rcas from the dsp and they cut on and off as expected.

I have rma’d my Dayton dsp and ordered another to see if that’s part of the issue. I also got a better quality speaker level to rca converter which should be here Thursday. I’ve swapped right and left inputs and outputs of the dsp but the issue remains only with the right tweet. I haven’t yet tried connecting directly to one of the amps yet though. Any idea wth is going on??

Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

If you swapped rcas and are still experiencing the issue with the same speaker then you either have a bad tweeter or the polarity is reversed.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM

I only swapped left and right, not rcas. I only have the one pair of converted rcas coming into the amp. I’ll try swapping positive and negative to see if the polarity is reversed.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM

*UPDATE*

So I just went out and tinkered with the truck for a minute and found a clue. If I pull the rca cable partially out of the input, so that only the center pin is touching and not the outer shield isn't then I get the sound I expected. I noticed some hiss, but the sound was immediately much louder and much fuller. I guess this seems like a grounding issue somewhere?? I think I have a bad tweeter but don't think that would affect the inputs on the dsp. I used forscan to turn my front speaker wires into rcas so I guess that's where I'll need to check huh?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcg703
*UPDATE*

So I just went out and tinkered with the truck for a minute and found a clue. If I pull the rca cable partially out of the input, so that only the center pin is touching and not the outer shield isn't then I get the sound I expected. I noticed some hiss, but the sound was immediately much louder and much fuller. I guess this seems like a grounding issue somewhere?? I think I have a bad tweeter but don't think that would affect the inputs on the dsp. I used forscan to turn my front speaker wires into rcas so I guess that's where I'll need to check huh?

Doubt that your tweeter is bad. I hate solder on RCAs. You would be better off splicing the wire that already has them attached. That is what most others on the forum do.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Maybe I’ll pull the head unit out tomorrow and check where I spliced into the factory speaker wires for my rcas. I did use solder there. I swapped in a new dsp and got the same issue so I know it’s not the dsp. It’s something in the wiring. If all else fails, I’ll undo the low level forscan mod and try high level inputs.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

100% check your connections on the RCA to speaker wire. Even try using the kicker kisl adapters. good luck I hope you find a resolve soon!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM

This afternoon I switched from the speaker to rca adapters that came with the amp, to a good set of Rockford ones. This made no difference so I’ll pull the head unit tomorrow. Not sure if it makes a difference but I tapped the speaker wires at the back of the head unit via 9 wire and converter to male rca ends at the processor. I assume most convert to female rca at the headunit and run rca to the back. Again, not sure if this makes any difference.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:10 PM

So today I bypassed the 9 wire I used to run to the rca adapter and spliced in a new set of rca ends with some extra wire I had. Same issue. Seems like there is something wrong with the speaker to rca level conversion in forscan. Theres a weird ground issue because if I slide the rca out so the ground shield on the rca isn’t touching the input of the dsp, the bass and volume jump up. It’s like the wire isn’t getting grounded through the conversion.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Let me ask, when you soldered on the rcas, did you shield them at both ends? Meaning you soldered the shield to the ground negative wire? "shielding" at both ends on a balanced line level can cause ground loop noise among other things. That could be causing your issue. For a balanced signal, you should only be shielding at the source, never at the output.

Quick Reply: Weird issue after Forscan/DSP install