Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Tired of mediocre - can you help with specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Tired of mediocre - can you help with specs?

My wife has an absolutely awesome sub and amp in her car that we inherited from a friend - and it rocks. Its a giant box that fits in the trunk but it never sounds pudgy and it never sounds like it's not filling the air with perfect sound ... low volumes and high.

Me, I just want an all-round solid sound. I upgraded the speakers with Infinity 6289's and while they're MUCH better, it didn't scratch my itch. So I want to reach out to you guys to help fulfill my wishlist.

It *sounds* like I need an amp for the 6829s ... which one is appropriate for these? I plan to mount it behind the rear seats. And while I'm at it I might as well put a nicer sub to replace the Sony sub that came with the navigation unit. Can the amp I use for the speakers also power an aftermarket sub?

...along those lines, if an independant amp is required for the sub, which type of sub will perform the absolute best without leaving me feeling like its pudgy or can't perform the hit of the drum with the low of a bass guitar together? Seems like it's one of the other and the last shallow mount sub I bought (a kit off eBay for my '09 Ft150) always sounded kinda hollow.

I really want to keep the stock headunit and while I don't want to skimp out on parts, I also don't want to bust the budget. I'm going to have to part it together because I don't have $1500 to spend on everything at once. If I'm going to start on something first ... lets get the amp for the 6829's and go from there with the subs. Anyone got a parts list for the best all-around sound that might fit this? Thanks a TON in advance.

Last edited by sharper4; 03-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by sharper4

It *sounds* like I need an amp for the 6829s ... which one is appropriate for these? I plan to mount it behind the rear seats. And while I'm at it I might as well put a nicer sub to replace the Sony sub that came with the navigation unit. Can the amp I use for the speakers also power an aftermarket sub?
Amplifying any aftermarket speakers will exponentially increase your output and typically your SQ. I am assuming the 6829's are currently running off your headunit (around 15 rms if aftermarket). These speakers are really coax's with an external crossover. Which is find if you arent going into competition for SQ. So lets assume you keep your current setup and just want to amp the 4-door speakers and add a sub.

You can get one amp (5chanel) to power the doors and a sub, but that wouldn't be my suggestion, given you want good SQ and quite a bit or loudness.

My take on door speakers and 4-channel amp.
First: The speakers are rated at 100w rms. This means you will need a 4- channel amp that puts out any wheres from 60-100 watts rms per channel to properly power them.

I would suggest:
Rockford Fosgate T400 (4channel with around 75 rms/channel) with a 24db crossover and phenomenal efficiency for the class of amp.
-or-
Focal FPP 4100 (4 channel with 95 rms/channel) ab amp with great sq and filters. (I have this one in my truck and love it).

Next for the sub.
I'm not real familary with the model of truck you have, so I am assuming the factory sub an enclosure is 8". While this is sufficient to provide adequate bass to factory system, it will not keep up with the potential your amped door speakers will have.

I would suggest to add a full size 10" under the rear seat. Or even two, if you are truly wanting to make your wife jealous . Shallow subs will always tend to sound "hollow" when compared to full size drivers. I am not sure if you are interested in adding a new box and deleting the sub completely. Just giving you suggestions based on your post. If you are looking to do this then I can give you some recommendations on box's, builders, subs, and a mono amp.

Quick Reply: Tired of mediocre - can you help with specs?