Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sub options for an 18

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sub options for an 18

I've got a Sundown Audio E8v5 sub that I had in my jeep before. I designed and built a box for it. It was a little beast. I figure its small enough to maybe toss in the truck under the rear seats. But I'm not sure? I see people using 6" normal subs and lots of thin mount subs but are they any good? I've got some MDF left over and I can design up something and build it but I don't want to waste my time if its still not a good option. Should I figure out a way to make it work, maybe under the 60% back seat? I would like to flip up the other one for the dog the odd time. I have two kids and car seats in there 90% of the time. Or is it just to much of a pain and just too big? Thoughts? I need bass soon its getting warmer, snow melting.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I have two alpine type R 10’s under my seats in a fox acoustics box, so there is plenty of room under there for your 8.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by PLASMAN
I have two alpine type R 10’s under my seats in a fox acoustics box, so there is plenty of room under there for your 8.

that's a nice looking setup
Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheeldeal
I've got a Sundown Audio E8v5 sub that I had in my jeep before. I designed and built a box for it. It was a little beast. I figure its small enough to maybe toss in the truck under the rear seats. But I'm not sure? I see people using 6" normal subs and lots of thin mount subs but are they any good? I've got some MDF left over and I can design up something and build it but I don't want to waste my time if its still not a good option. Should I figure out a way to make it work, maybe under the 60% back seat? I would like to flip up the other one for the dog the odd time. I have two kids and car seats in there 90% of the time. Or is it just to much of a pain and just too big? Thoughts? I need bass soon its getting warmer, snow melting.
even if you run out of room.. which i doubt you would you can get a seat lift kit .. the mounting depth on my sub is 7.6 inches and there is another 3 inches for excursion .. when i gave my dimensions to MTI for a new box.. i had 12.5 inches in the front and 8.5 inches in the rear .. so there is a whole lot of possibility for sub boxes
Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
even if you run out of room.. which i doubt you would you can get a seat lift kit .. the mounting depth on my sub is 7.6 inches and there is another 3 inches for excursion .. when i gave my dimensions to MTI for a new box.. i had 12.5 inches in the front and 8.5 inches in the rear .. so there is a whole lot of possibility for sub boxes
12.5 inches in height? Is so that's not under the seat. Its roughly 8 1/4 in height on top of the mat under the front of the rear seat. Maybe a bit more if jammed under. 6" in height under the rear.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM

That is a nice box, mine will not be that fancy since I'm making it. I'll have to check my excursion distance, the diameter of the sub doesn't effect the distance it moves, these things really move. I am worried about mounting distance, I swear it was 7.5 inches which screws me. Sounds like I need to confirm specs. But that syle could work. I was thinking front facing so it doesn't muffle the sub but with kids they might/will kick it.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Many of the box designs I have seen are down firing with a cutout on the top side to clear the bottom of the speaker basket/magnet. The hole is then covered over with a raised cover made of either molded plastic (Fox Box) or milled out wood. From what I can gather there is enough "give" in the cloth on the underside of the seat to accommodate the extra protuberance.

Last edited by Narly1; 03-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Narly1
Many of the box designs I have seen are down firing with a cutout on the top side to clear the bottom of the speaker basket/magnet. The hole is then covered over with a raised cover made of either molded plastic (Fox Box) or milled out wood. From what I can gather there is enough "give" in the cloth on the underside of the seat to accommodate the extra protuberance.
I've see that style as well, I'm worried about the down facing because I have the factory rubber mat covering the whole floor.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheeldeal
That is a nice box, mine will not be that fancy since I'm making it. I'll have to check my excursion distance, the diameter of the sub doesn't effect the distance it moves, these things really move. I am worried about mounting distance, I swear it was 7.5 inches which screws me. Sounds like I need to confirm specs. But that syle could work. I was thinking front facing so it doesn't muffle the sub but with kids they might/will kick it.
I was surprised to see that the excursion Xmax figure for the speaker I'm using (JL10W3v3) is only about 1/2". The speaker cone itself sits just about flush with the back side of the mounting flange surface which is about 5/8"-3/4" below the front side of the flange. So even if the speaker was sitting flat on the floor the cone would never hit it (in theory).
Old 03-22-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Sundown E-8v5

Top Mount Depth: 5.118"
Space behind magnet: .5"
One way xmax: 14mm/ .551"
Space for xmax: .75"
Combined material thickness: .75" x2= 1.5"
Combine box height including riser: 7.868"

Max height you can fit under the seat with .75" riser and .75" MDF without a seat lift or embossed back panel: 9"with a 2.5" slope.

Box height parameters:
Slope: 2.5"
Front height: 9"
Midpoint height: 7.75" (sub needs 7.868")
Back height: 6.5"

In order to make this work, you will have to build an enclosure with an embossed top panel or fox box or seat lift. There's just not enough height available for that sub any other way.

If it was me, I would just build a forward facing under seat enclosure for that 8" sub. It will fit just fine and give you better output in the process. Throw a grill over and be done.

Quick Reply: Sub options for an 18