Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Signal for DSP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Signal for DSP

Is everyone using the front speaker outputs for full range signal to a DSP? I知 using forscan to convert to low level inputs and want to make sure I知 using the right speakers.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:35 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Front signal should do the trick. I'm not sure why you also wouldn't connect the rears though. Let the DSP figure out what's going on by connecting all signal inputs.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Front signal should do the trick. I'm not sure why you also wouldn't connect the rears though. Let the DSP figure out what's going on by connecting all signal inputs.
Yup! That's why we use dsp's.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
I figured the fronts have full range so that's all I needed. I could use the fronts and map them to my tweets and mids output (channels 1-4) on the dsp then use the rears and map them to the sub output (channels 7-8) then right? I just want to make sure I have my signals mapped out correctly.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:56 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I haven't worked with all brand of DSPs but most recommend using as many sources of inputs as you can. I had issues in the past doing this. I tend to ignore using bass inputs from any stock system. I only use front and rear inputs.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm using a Dayton DSP-408 so I don't have summing. That was my thinking behind using only the fronts if they receive they're full range.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcg703
I'm using a Dayton DSP-408 so I don't have summing. That was my thinking behind using only the fronts if they receive they're full range.
The problem with channel summing in newer vehicles is that different speaker channels play different alerts. For example, in my 2016 F150 and my 2018 f150, side collision alert and backup sensors come through the left or right rear speaker depending on the direction of the passing vehicle or which side the object is on that is causing the backup sensor alert. Another is forward collision alert and vehicle chimes. Mine come through the dash speaker and drivers side tweeter. When you sum and /or only use front channels, you take the chance of either cutting out factory alerts all together or forcing an alert that is only supposed to come through the right rear speaker to now play through every speaker in the truck. That's why using all channels and not summing is preferred. You can level match while still processing each channel individually.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcg703
Yes you do.

Input the front (1-2 input) to channels 1-4 output(I am guessing you are running an active front stage), rear (3-4 input) to 5-6 output, then select link for 7+8 (so you get a mono signal) and under source, select In1 + In2 for both 7+8. That way, the front left and right signal also powers the subwoofer but the subwoofer gets a mono signal through the 7 +8 outputs.

It should look like this:

Last edited by Kanadian-kaos; 08-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 PM

I see what you're saying now. My question now, is do I do anything with chan 5 and 6 since I'm not running any rear fill? I'm assuming I can still send the signal through the DSP even though the speakers themselves will not be connected, but don't I need to route the signal to an output channel? Sorry for the noob-ness, but this is my first DSP/active setup and I'm learning on the fly.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Do it like this if you are not hooking up rear speakers. Use the rear speaker inputs to send a signal to the subwoofer. That way you can use the factory front/rear fader to adjust the volume of the sub in relation to the front.

Quick Reply: Signal for DSP