Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Setting delay on DSP-408

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Setting delay on DSP-408

So after reading hours of info on this I'm a little confused. Some people have claimed on DIY audio that putting in the delay in inches doesn't work. Other information states put in all the distances calculated to milliseconds. So since my sub is furthest speaker from me do I subtract the distance from me to the other speakers from the sub and add as ms or what?
After getting the inputs figured out, since they are reversed going off the colors it sounds pretty good. I've got audiofrog gs 6x9 in front doors and gs 10 tweeter on axis in pods off the a pillars. Powered by a Zapco st6x-sq. Thanks for all the information I've

got off this forum on sound deadening and speaker selection, block off plates from Hush and advice from Dhmcfadin thanks guys!

Last edited by lightning blue xlt; 04-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lightning blue xlt:
HushCarAudio (04-29-2019), PLASMAN (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

you want to delay all the speakers so they reach your ears at the same time. so if your sub is the furthest speaker from your ears then you delay the rest accordingly.

that being said there are two camps about delaying subs. some people don't some do. i am in the "do" category.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
you want to delay all the speakers so they reach your ears at the same time. so if your sub is the furthest speaker from your ears then you delay the rest accordingly.

that being said there are two camps about delaying subs. some people don't some do. i am in the "do" category.
And that is what confuses me, how can a speaker that is farther away get more delay and the sound arrive at the same time that a speaker that is closer and has less delay? The way I understand it and please correct me if I'm wrong, but you take a measurement from the middle of the speaker to the center of your head or ear. Then take that measurement and convert it to milliseconds. So the farther the speaker the more milliseconds delay it gets. Is that right?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

you are thinking about it wrong. you are delaying every speaker BUT the sub (or the furthest one away), so the closer a speaker is to your ear the more delay it will receive. your end goal is to make everything arrive at your head at the same time.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know where your sub is located but my passenger side door speaker was the farthest and hence set at zero delay. My sub is under the back seat.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

You want your furthest speaker to reach your ear when your nearest speaker does. Therefore, the delay time on the furthest speaker should be less time to 'fire' than your nearest speaker. Example: Nearest speaker, 4ms, furthest speaker 2ms. In the Dayton program after you've taken your measurements in inches and saved them, you can see them in milliseconds if you load that preset in the program when it is not physically connected to the Dayton. You measurement in inches is converted to milliseconds.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the help it's starting to click in my steel trap a little better now! I also found this think it might help!
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

What do you think?
The following users liked this post:
PLASMAN (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

That website works. It is based on these principles.

But if you measure your sub and it is 10" away, and the next farthest is the passenger tweeter at 8". Then you would set the tweeter for a delay of 2". (10"-8"=2")
If the next farthest is the passenger door speaker and say it is 6", then you would set the equilvalent delay of 4" (10"-6"=4")

Some DSP's will do those calculations for you, so you just input the actual distance away each speaker is, some require the above to be done prior to entering the information. I am not 100% sure if the dsp-408 does the calculations for you or not.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

The Dayton does the calculation for you. Input in inches.

You should be setting your time alignment by measuring the distance from each speaker to the crown of your head. There is no subtraction or addition. You measure the left tweeter, type the distance in. Then measure right tweeter, type the distance in. Then measure left mid, type the distance in. Right mid, type the distance in. Subwoofer- Measure from the center of the cone of the sub to the crown of your head, type the distance in.

The reason you time align the sub is to move the sub forward under the dash instead of behind you.

You time align to improve the transient response of the drivers. By measuring from one point to all speakers, you align all speakers output to meet your ears simultaneous through a calculated delay in ms. Again, the dsp will do the calculation with you.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
The Dayton does the calculation for you. Input in inches.

You should be setting your time alignment by measuring the distance from each speaker to the crown of your head. There is no subtraction or addition. You measure the left tweeter, type the distance in. Then measure right tweeter, type the distance in. Then measure left mid, type the distance in. Right mid, type the distance in. Subwoofer- Measure from the center of the cone of the sub to the crown of your head, type the distance in.

The reason you time align the sub is to move the sub forward under the dash instead of behind you.

You time align to improve the transient response of the drivers. By measuring from one point to all speakers, you align all speakers output to meet your ears simultaneous through a calculated delay in ms. Again, the dsp will do the calculation with you.
Well this certainly sounds like the easiest way to do it! I have it set now to ms and with just all the speakers delayed with their measurements so it's way off! I'll try to change it tonight and see how much different it sounds, thanks for the lesson!

Quick Reply: Setting delay on DSP-408