Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Powered sub in middle seat 2016 XLT front bench

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powered sub in middle seat 2016 XLT front bench

I've had my XLT for a couple of months and love just about everything about it except the sound. I like the head unit itself, just not much coming from the speakers. Looking around here, that "sounds" (sorry, bad pun) to be a common complaint.

Looking at a small powered sub - like the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD - under the middle seat the the front bench of my XLT. I'm a father of two little children and I always have two child seats in my back seat. So, I was thinking that it would be better having the sub up by me (don't have to crank it as loud for it to sound like I want). I also have a WPT1212 coming and the B-8PTD looks like a good fit for that without pulling too much.

I know I will have to fish some wire from the harness back up to the front seats and the sound will be a little muffled from the center seat - but it can't be that much more than from behind the back seats and through a child seat.

Curious & appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Also looking at replacing doors w/
Kicker 43DSC69304 (6x9) in front & Kicker 43DSC6504 (6.5) in rear. These seem to have a good sensitivity so they should work ok with stock HU without going for an amp at this time (might in the future). Crutchfield currently has a sale on Kicker - buy one, get one 50% off.
Puts this combo (all four kickers, the B-8PTD, & install parts) @ $270 which sounds like a good price.

Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 AM

I installed the Kicker 11HS8 8" powered sub in my 16' XLT. I love it. It was super easy to do. It mounted right up behind the rear seat and doesn't affect folding or use of the rear seats. Highly recommend. It comes with a remote that I put in my dash that allows me to turn the sub up/down for solo driving versus driving with granny.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 211 Likes on 142 Posts

I was in the same position you were in, before I started my sub install. I have two kids. I would recommend a amp with a boost control ****. I installed a punch amp with a ****, and when the kids are in the car, I have it all the way down, and the sub is almost off. Then when the kids are dropped off at daycare, I crank it all the way up!! I know you talked about under the center console, but consider what I did. I built an enclosure behind the rear seat. with a 8" shallow mount. I made a thread in here with all the measurements and info. I have the sub right behind my 1 year old, like I said, when the bass **** is turned all the way down there is next to no noise coming from the sub. Just giving you food for thought.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SycoCell
I installed the Kicker 11HS8 8" powered sub in my 16' XLT. I love it. It was super easy to do. It mounted right up behind the rear seat and doesn't affect folding or use of the rear seats. Highly recommend. It comes with a remote that I put in my dash that allows me to turn the sub up/down for solo driving versus driving with granny.
Thanks - I am trying to decide between the Kicker and the B-8PTD - wasn't sure if there is $100 of difference. Did you use the WPT1212 harness?

Originally Posted by gintyfab
I was in the same position you were in, before I started my sub install. I have two kids. I would recommend a amp with a boost control ****. I installed a punch amp with a ****, and when the kids are in the car, I have it all the way down, and the sub is almost off. Then when the kids are dropped off at daycare, I crank it all the way up!! I know you talked about under the center console, but consider what I did. I built an enclosure behind the rear seat. with a 8" shallow mount. I made a thread in here with all the measurements and info. I have the sub right behind my 1 year old, like I said, when the bass **** is turned all the way down there is next to no noise coming from the sub. Just giving you food for thought.
I will have to look into it. Thanks Might have a question after I review your thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

i'm biased after many, many years of installing and competing in car audio. i have installed more of those small powered subs in my life than i can remember from just about every brand that makes one. while they are a little easier to install vs a stand alone sub/amp/enclosure i have never been impressed with the output from any of them. before spending the money on one i *highly* suggest you find someone local who has one installed to listen to before laying out the cash. maybe you can get lucky and find a store like bestbuy or similar that would have one on display.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally bought the Kicker HS8 and thought it sounded good until I went to my local car audio shop and heard the JL Audio 8" Microsub+. I understand there is a big price difference but the JL Audio sounds much better. After having numerous subwoofers over the years I think the JL Audio sounds fantastic for a ported 8" subwoofer.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by beldecca
I've had my XLT for a couple of months and love just about everything about it except the sound. I like the head unit itself, just not much coming from the speakers. Looking around here, that "sounds" (sorry, bad pun) to be a common complaint.

Looking at a small powered sub - like the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD - under the middle seat the the front bench of my XLT. I'm a father of two little children and I always have two child seats in my back seat. So, I was thinking that it would be better having the sub up by me (don't have to crank it as loud for it to sound like I want). I also have a WPT1212 coming and the B-8PTD looks like a good fit for that without pulling too much.

I know I will have to fish some wire from the harness back up to the front seats and the sound will be a little muffled from the center seat - but it can't be that much more than from behind the back seats and through a child seat.

Curious & appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Also looking at replacing doors w/
Kicker 43DSC69304 (6x9) in front & Kicker 43DSC6504 (6.5) in rear. These seem to have a good sensitivity so they should work ok with stock HU without going for an amp at this time (might in the future). Crutchfield currently has a sale on Kicker - buy one, get one 50% off.
Puts this combo (all four kickers, the B-8PTD, & install parts) @ $270 which sounds like a good price.

Thanks again.
The SO sub has been around for a while and I have never heard of any complaints. There are others but really depends on your budget. Kicker are good for in the doors. That is what I use.