Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

No wiring harness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default No wiring harness!!!

Hello all, new to THIS topic forum but very familiar with PRE 1997 forum. Here is my question and i want to see if you as good as the others in engine performance. I have a 89 F150 supercab. I bought it as it was, no radio, but the speakers are still in. The wiring harness from the truck has been cut so I have a bunch of wires sticking out and looking at me rather funny. I am o.k. with splicing and such but I have not a lot of experience with connecting without a diagram and I can't print out the ones from AUTOZONE. So I need to know if anyone has any idea which wires are the power and ignition. Usually the solid red and/or white or yellow are HOT. The solid black is ground. How do I test their "hotness"? I used a tester and it didn't register the red as hot, and the white isn't solid. I had to take a wire and connect it to the fuse box as a hot wire, which mean that I need two just to connect the red and yellow from the stereo, right, unless the two wires can be connected together to the hot wire from the fuse? To make a long story short, why do I need to connect a wire to the fuse box to get power? There are other wires that registered as hot but they don't meet the typical color schemes, so I am confused. Finally, some of the hot wires should be for connecting the speakers as well right? I hope I didn't babble so much that I lost anyone. There are about 9 wires that are taped together, the tenth solid black (to the left) is actually a ground srewed to the floor. There is only one solid (red) wire and the rest are striped, where about three of them registered hot. I am trying to hook up an old stereo that i took out of another vehicle of mine. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get a wiring harness online or at a store that will take care of your problem, one from stinger or metra will provide both ends that you will need
Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM

I am not familiar with either, but thanks I will do an online search.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is kinda hard for me to remember exactly off the top of my head, and i dont know if all wiring harnesses are the same, but black neg. red ignition, and yellow or orange constant, im not for sure.

I used a testlight this past summer when i put some radios in some old 18 wheelers and maintainers where i work, and it did the job great.

O yea, green purple white and grey come in pairs, each consisting of a solid color, and a color with a black stripe, they are for the speakers.

sorry if im too late

Last edited by 2001stu; 01-08-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi it called a (reverse harness) google that and model year or look it up on ebay.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Here is the Ford color code for 2004 to 2008; can't say for sure it's the same for earlier, but it should be.

Green/Purple - 12 volt (+)
Black/Lt Green - Ground
Black - Ground
Pink/Black or Green Yellow - Radio Ignition (12 volts with key in "on")
Blue/Red - Radio Illumination
Green/Purple - Factory amp (audiophile) (12 volts)
Orange/Lt Green - Left Speaker "+" (front)
Blue/White - Left speaker "-" (front)
White/Lt Green - Right speaker "+" (front)
Dark green/Orange - Right Speaker "-" (front)
Grey/Lt Blue - Left speaker "+" (rear)
Tan/Yellow - Left speaker "-" (rear)
Orange/Red - Right speaker "+" (rear)
Brown/Pink - Right speaker "-" (rear)
Grey/Black - Speed sensor (for radios with volume increase for speed)
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks this really helps, because it is slightly different from the Standard wiring codes. This will give me something to work with.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM

Found out the wiring for an 89 f150 is not the same as the 2004. Also, the colors don't follow the standard wiring in the industry (EIA), go figure!! Here is the colors for the '89 (some before and after, don't know exact years)

green / yellow Constant 12V+
yellow / black Switched 12V+
Red OR Black Ground (Mine is RED)
Red / Blue Illumination
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger n/a

Front Speakers

orange / green Left+
Black / white Left -
White / green Right +
Black / White Right -

Rear Speakers (I don't have)

Pink / green Left +
Pink / blue Left -
Pink / blue Right + (I don't know why two of same color)
Green / Orange Right -

I have connected the reverse harness to both the power harness and the speaker harness. I have also connected the radio wiring harness to my aftermarket radio. Here are my questions,

I have a single wire left from my truck (orange / black). From the above information, I don't have a designated place for it, but apparently it was hooked to something. It is hot when the key is on. I initially thought a positive dimmer. What is a dimmer used for and would it need a negative as well? Currently I don't have it hooked to anything but would like to know if anyone knows what it could be used for?

Secondly,the truck blue/red illumination wire is connected to the illumination wire of the reverse harness (orang/white). My radio does not have a illumination wire to hook up. It has only two wires left, a blue (antenna remote) and a blue/white (amp remote). My question is since I don't have an electric antenna could I connect it to the illumination wire? I have to have a wire connected to the illumination to get it to come on. Otherwise what is another option?

If I decide to connect an amp up to the system, will the amp remote wire be active even though it is not connected to anything on the truck, or will I have to tap into other wires to get the amp on?

Finally, what would be the reason why I cannot cut my radio volume above say 25 out of 40 ticks of the **** before the radio cuts off? The wires are connected good and I don't have any touching others. Thanks for your repsonses.

Last edited by str8dogg; 01-20-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is only one ground and that is the black connection to the ground. it is made internally in the radio. iam not so sure about the red being a ground and the green being 12v+ dont forget this is dc voltage. orange is your dimmer wire you dont need it but it will work with your interior lights and when you turn your head light on.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 AM

I see what you are saying but I don't have a black ground coming from my truck. The black to the radio is definately ground, I get that. The red wire from my truck is NOT hot, not even when the key is turned to "ON", so it is a ground. As mentioned, the wiring for this year is funky. Unless someone can tell me what the colors are comming from the truck different than what I found. Removing the speaker wires (front only) as mentioned above, leaves 5 wires and according to the colors as stated. Only given the wires left, what would you recommend to be the HOT wires and the GROUND, remember there is a orange / black wire that is available but not used (hot when key turned on)? Also remember, these are only the wires comming from the truck. My reverse and wiring harnesses are marked so I can wire it as you suggest of the others.

Quick Reply: No wiring harness!!!