Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help concerning adding aftermarket speakers and amplifier to factory 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help concerning adding aftermarket speakers and amplifier to factory 2010

So I want a much better sound in my truck and since I do not like how the aftermarket HUs incorporate the Sync function I want to stick with stock and just add an amp for some aftermarket speakers and an amp and subwoofer? I had installed an aftermarket DD in my old 05 F150 with a subwoofer and speakers and had no problem but I have never wired in 2 amps at once or any into a factory HU. How would I do this from start to finish I have never opened up a 2010? Any links to videos and some recommendations for speakers, amps, shallow mount subs etc would be great. I am on a budget but not a super tight one. I want quality but do not want to spend thousands of dollars on equipment. Thanks in advance. I know I am asking for a lot here lol
Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend 6.5" components for the front and 6x8" for rear fill. The components sound MUCH better. I have had both in my system and the components have more defined highs. For factory integration i would suggest a high to low level converter.http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...nics_MX-1.aspx
I have one 4 channel amp for the speakers and one 2 channel bridged mono for a 8" JBL http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...BL_GTO804.aspx sub woofer. This little sub thumps. I am very impressed. Most people want 10s or 12s but i did not want to lose any space. Good luck and do some searching. I found lots of great post to help with my install.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Barnboy
I would recommend 6.5" components for the front and 6x8" for rear fill. The components sound MUCH better. I have had both in my system and the components have more defined highs. For factory integration i would suggest a high to low level converter.http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...nics_MX-1.aspx
I have one 4 channel amp for the speakers and one 2 channel bridged mono for a 8" JBL http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...BL_GTO804.aspx sub woofer. This little sub thumps. I am very impressed. Most people want 10s or 12s but i did not want to lose any space. Good luck and do some searching. I found lots of great post to help with my install.
-
I just put same sub in my truck. What kind of box did you use or make? I built one to the recomended size and I am not having much luck with it.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Lightning&Lariat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending how much money your looking to spend and how much bass you want, you could even consider a higher output 5 channel amp. Power all your speakers and a small 8 or 10" sub.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

88MM I made the box for my JBL sub. I had a friend help with calculating the box volume. My friend is a engineer here at work and he used a program called solid works to figure the box volume and the extra material i had to add to get the correct volume..The original plan was to run 2 JBL subs but the box came out to small for 2 and too big for 1. I ended up having to add a great length of 2x4 to the inside of the box. No big deal it gives the box a nice heavy feel. I wasn't to far off for 2 but maybe down the road i may add a second sub and make a new box. I am quite pleased with the output of this little sub. It sounds much bigger than it is. It wont wrinkle the sheet metal but it will provide adequate bass for the average listener. I did post some pictures of my setup in the audio forum. Scroll down till you see Barnboy's stereo.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Hi

If you want to keep the factory head unit i would use the JL audio cleensweep it takes the factory signal an flattens the curve for good sound, but there are alot of options? I would call crutchfield for any questions. I have bought an used them for research for over 10 years an am always impressed with there customer service very good company to work with
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

To save money on my setup. I purchased these components:

$187 eBay - 4x Infinity Kappa 682.9CF 6x8" Speakers For Doors
*Although after all the talk about Components maybe you should get them
$20 eBay -4x Scosche Ford Speaker Harness
$15 eBay - Car Panel Removal Tool Set 12 Pcs
$30 eBay - Metra BT5520 Wiring Harness to connect amp
$360 eBay - Kicker 10ZX700.5 5 Channel Amp. 4x 85Watt + 420Watt Mono
+$50BorderFees (Actual wattage is 973 Watts) Kicker is always over powered.
$25 eBay - Kicker ZXRC Bass Remote Control ****
$30 Best Buy - Kicker 09ZISL Converts Speaker To RCA INPUT.
$100 eBay - Alpine SWS-1043D 10" Subwoofer 300W
$60 eBay - Kicker CK44 - 4 Channel Amp Wiring Kit
$134 Supercrewsound.com - 1x10" Passenger Side Subwoofer Box.

Totaling: $1011

Plus whatever other little things, MDF board and ****.

Once it is all here and warm outside I'll make a nice post about how I did it.

Now I haven't hooked up my Amp or subs or anything, only the speakers. All of these items are still coming in the mail. The amp is here and its pretty nice looking but nothing is tested yet. It will probably be a spring-time project since I live in Ontario.

A thread I found very helpful in picking my equipment is HERE

Now I took careful consideration to make sure that all my components run at the same ohms rating. I had a nice stereo in my old honda but didn't know anything about car audio back then and ruined some of it.

So best thing to do is maybe start with the speakers you want, find an amp that powers them. And then find your subwoofer because most subwoofers you can purchase 2ohm or 4ohms and wire them in series or parallel to get the right ohms.

Also i'm not an expert so if im wrong about anything here, please feel free to correct me someone.

And the person there used a Line Out Converter to work with there amp. But to save the cost of buying two alpine amps which would cost like 700 bucks off eBay. I chose this Kicker Amp. Which accepts High level RCA INPUT.

It takes alot of reading to be able to do this yourself if you've never done it before. I recommend the panel removal kit though it saves alot of scratching and prying on your new truck.

Here is a shot of the amp:

Here is another write-up. I'm still searching for more information for my own install. Lots of readingg.. HERE

Last edited by macaboo; 02-01-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Hi

Very good info macaboo, It all depends if you want better sound than stock or if you want the best sound possible, ive heard a couple an installed one great sounding systems with coaxial speakers an with 4 or 5 channel amps the older amps with more than 2 chanells just never impressed me much. You have all good stuff that you bought an should be a big improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: Need help concerning adding aftermarket speakers and amplifier to factory 2010