Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

stereo 101 help please..double din ? single din ? wtf lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stereo 101 help please..double din ? single din ? wtf lol

ya im sure im a dunce but i want a dvd/gps in dash system for my truck 2008 lariat to replace stock unit and could use help to get me in the right direction..want movie dvd for kids and gps/navigation built in..dont need much else so what is a double/single din ? is there an easy plug/replace harness and do i need a specific size for stereo unit to fit or all the same / ty
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

You can buy a harness so you don't cut into your factory wiring.

Single din is a thinner deck, a double din is well, double as thick.

You can make a double din fit.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Lightning&Lariat

No dumb questions here man, only info. Single din is mostly just a standard radio. Double din is typically a full screen/touch screen unit. Metra makes an install kit for the double din your wanting to get and metra also makes a wiring harness that wires to the stereo's harness which then plugs right into your truck's harness. Now i'm not too sure what your wanting as far as dvd for the kids. Are you wanting to get the main double din unit in the dash and then an add on for the kids on the back. You can add another screen in the back like in your headrest but we will get into that if thats what your looking to do. It gets expensive and a little tougher then. If you need specifics on things, hit me up. -Josh
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Black'd F150
No dumb questions here man, only info. Single din is mostly just a standard radio. Double din is typically a full screen/touch screen unit. Metra makes an install kit for the double din your wanting to get and metra also makes a wiring harness that wires to the stereo's harness which then plugs right into your truck's harness. Now i'm not too sure what your wanting as far as dvd for the kids. Are you wanting to get the main double din unit in the dash and then an add on for the kids on the back. You can add another screen in the back like in your headrest but we will get into that if thats what your looking to do. It gets expensive and a little tougher then. If you need specifics on things, hit me up. -Josh
apricaite the help guys na no back seat dvd way too much $$ for us im sure.. i mostly want the gps and tunes with the added bonus of a dvd for the few times i take one of my kids along, we have a mini-van for taking them around but if anyone ever asks i never drive it lol
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Lightning&Lariat

I havent installed it yet but i just bought the Pioneer AVH-3200bt. It does dvds and has bluetooth built in which is awesome but doesnt have navi. Navi units get a little expensive but you may strike a good deal. Hit up ebay, its the best route. Crutchfield is a nice place that has ANYTHING stereo related but it'll cost ya. Mostly, depends on the funding. You can get a unit with built in gps with updated maps and all the gadgets. Now, as a side note the double din units have what they call a dvd movie safety lockout. Not the correct technical terms for it but it prevents you from driving with a dvd playing. They(cops) say it distracts the driver from paying attention to the road. Its a seperate wire on the headunit that is suppose to wire into your parking brake. Parking brake you ask? Its so you watch a dvd while parked. Screw that!! There are ways to bypass this. If you get that far, give me a shout. Any other questions, ask away man. Sorry for my rambling lol. Its not so often i get to help someone. Most of the time its people helping me.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's a pic of the 3200 installed. It's a great unit for the price. You can add nav for around $200 and a backup camera. It's also HD Radio and Sat radio ready. My fav part is the bluetooth though. Works awesome.

Don't mean to sound like a salesman, but I've been really happy with it.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Lightning&Lariat

Thanks for chimmin in Blacknback, good install. Where did you install your mic? Btw did you change the colors of the buttons to red or did it come like that? i havent even looked at mine yet so i dont know any thing about it lol
Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Are you ok with the factory sound? If so, I'd recommend something completely different.

Amazon Amazon

plus

A regular external GPS, I love my Magellan 3065 that was $130 at bestbuy.

Everything you want for under $300, and you can use any of it in multiple cars, plus you don't have to watch Barney.

Quick Reply: stereo 101 help please..double din ? single din ? wtf lol