Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Making the 110v plug "hot"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:48 PM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making the 110v plug "hot"

(hopefully this would be considered the correct forum for this)

I use my 11 Lariat to tow my car to the track and in a few weeks will be at a track where there is no power available, I was interested in maybe wiring in a switch to make the 110v outlet on the back of the center console work w/o the truck on for charging of phones/GoPros/lap-timers, anyone able to provide me with a lead on where to intercept the switched lead to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by MorningZ
(hopefully this would be considered the correct forum for this)

I use my 11 Lariat to tow my car to the track and in a few weeks will be at a track where there is no power available, I was interested in maybe wiring in a switch to make the 110v outlet on the back of the center console work w/o the truck on for charging of phones/GoPros/lap-timers, anyone able to provide me with a lead on where to intercept the switched lead to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance
I would run a new wire from the fuse box
Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 PM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's a given... just wondering if someone knew where to intercept that switched lead at, obviously it needs to be before whatever Ford has for an inverter setup (
Old 09-18-2015, 02:56 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

For what it is, like 150w on 12v, so maybe 175w while the truck is running... You would be better off picking up a cheaper 400 or 500w standalone inverter and wiring it off you're capacitor setup behind the seat.

That's my opinion. I honestly think you will have less headache doing it that way compared to digging through harnesses trying to tap a wire and run a switch setup for a relay.

Quick Reply: Making the 110v plug "hot"