Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help with 2014 SuperCrew sound upgrade for a novice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 2014 SuperCrew sound upgrade for a novice

I want/need to upgrade the system. I want to just run it through the factory head unit. So can you guys help me with some questions?

1. Crutchfield has 80 speaker options for my doors. Any advice on how to choose a speaker?
2. Is it possible to get any bass sounds from door speakers? The truck currently has none at all (and one blown speaker).
3. Would it have to have an amp to sound decent? And if so, is there an easy to install option for that. I am not looking for excessive volume, just want a nice sound.
4. How essential do you view sound dampening, since I will have the panels off anyway?
5. How do you feel about the Kicker Hideaway Sub? It seems like it is easy to install.

I am basically looking for a low budget, easy to install upgrade. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

1. stick to a name brand, then pick something within your price range. you can go with coax speakers (woofer and tweet in one unit) for ease of installation of a component set (separate tweet and mid) for better sound but a little more difficult installation.

2. nope. speakers designed for the door only play down so low due to their size. if you want low end sound you will need a sub of some fashion.

3. yes as the stock headunit puts out minimal power. one of the easiest, and smallest, amps to add is the alpine power pack - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP...ower-Pack.html - you can use any amp you want but if going the traditional route you will need an amp install kit (power wire, ground wire, inline fuse, remote turn on wire, etc) and you will have to run the audio signal to the amp and then back from it to the speakers. (that's why i suggested the alpine unit as you can install it behind/under the headunit and).

4. very, but at a minimum i would suggest using a CLD (dynamat) on the doors. there are lots of threads in here telling, and showing, you where to apply.

5. personally i think all the slim all-in-one subs are a waste of money. they don't really have great output however some people love them for their ease of installation. i would suggest listening to one before making a decision on buying one.

The following users liked this post:
LuketheDrifter (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

It would help to know what your actual budget is if you want recommendations. Also do you have the sony system, it makes the process a little more difficult if you do and plan on replacing your amp.

1) Choose based on what you are going to be powering them with. Make sure if you are going off factory HU / Sony amp power it is about 20w RMS and the speakers are going to be ok for that power. I would personally pick up one of these and then get whatever speakers are in my budget.
Amazon Amazon

2) You can help it some but most door speakers (6.5") will not be able to get to 80hz and below, See point 4 below

3) Most aftermarket speakers need aftermarket power to really wake them up. They are made of better materials which usually increase the mass and requires more power to move it.

4) VERY! A proper install can never be beat and is really the only way to get good bass out of your door speakers. Sound dampening also isn't just CLD tiles. It is 25% door coverage of CLD, a full layer of CCF coupled to MLV across the entire door skin. Here is a good link on how to properly sound deaden your door.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...reatment/doors

5)I would rather go with two of these over the kicker. Nothing against the kicker but at that price range two 8" will be better than one 8" for good bass (unless you go the JL 8" route as those have some decent output and are also a lot more $$$)

Sound Ordnance B-8PTD

Or I would pick up this amp and a better sub combo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-...ss!85338!US!-1

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 04-15-2019 at 05:42 PM.
LuketheDrifter (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks fellas! I do not have the premium system. I have the regular system with a horrible sounding driver door speaker that I assume is blown. I am going to start by replacing the front two door speakers, then save up money for further upgrades. The budget is low. Right now it does not even have a listenable sound system.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by LuketheDrifter
Thanks fellas! I do not have the premium system. I have the regular system with a horrible sounding driver door speaker that I assume is blown. I am going to start by replacing the front two door speakers, then save up money for further upgrades. The budget is low. Right now it does not even have a listenable sound system.
For future then, you will want the FOR-11ck harness to tie in once you get an amp. Makes factory no cut/splice.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM

I watched the crutchfield Powerpack video, and they said if the fuse was 15 amps you would not have to run a wire to the battery. Do you guys know if the wire has to be run or not on these?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM

I watched the crutchfield Powerpack video, and they said if the fuse was 15 amps you would not have to run a wire to the battery. Do you guys know if the wire has to be run or not on these?
Many have not and many have. These trucks are actually super easy to run a power wire into the cab. On the passenger side there is a passage on the firewall with an extra nipple on it. Cut that nipple, feed your power wire in, pull the glove box out and run the wire behind the stereo and connect your amp to the FOR-11CK harness. Once done you can take some silicone and seal up the hole so no moisture can get in it.

A lot of guys did one of those options in this thread. I would personally run a 10 or 8 gauge power wire with how easy it is.
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2013-a...arness-263834/

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 04-15-2019 at 08:45 PM.
LuketheDrifter (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Alright. You guys have helped a lot. I am going to start with the two front speakers so I can get rid of the horrible distortion, and it seems the easiest place to start. Do you guys have a favorite brand of speaker? Do you recommend 2-way or 3-way speakers?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Alright. You guys have helped a lot. I am going to start with the two front speakers so I can get rid of the horrible distortion, and it seems the easiest place to start. Do you guys have a favorite brand of speaker? Do you recommend 2-way or 3-way speakers?
Components. Just replace the tweeters and put the provided crossover in line with the tweeter channels. Then just replace the door speakers. Easy.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:05 AM

Pardon my ignorance. So my truck has the factory tweeters up on the A-pillar. Does it just have a small woofer in the doors, or a tweeter there also? Are you recommending I buy a component set and just put woofers in the doors, and replace the tweeters on the A-pillar? Assume I am starting at skill and knowledge level "0".

Quick Reply: Help with 2014 SuperCrew sound upgrade for a novice