Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Hella Horns + OEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Hella Horns + OEM

So this might sound dumb, but I tend to overthink things in my head and then the more I think about them, the more it doesn't make sense and I second, third, and fourth guess myself.

I am wanting to hook up some Hella Sharptones in addition to my OEM horn. I want to have an OEM only and a Hella + OEM setting. I'm thinking I can accomplish this with a simple SPST switch and a bosch five prong style relay. I have the relay wiring down in my head, but it's the switch wiring that I keep turning over and over.

I'm thinking that if I wire the "trigger" wire for the relay to the On position on the switch, ground out the middle, and then wire the Off position to the OEM horns by tapping into the OEM horn trigger line, that would do the trick. On would be Hella + OEM, Down would be just OEM.

Meaning that OEMs would fire no matter what position the switch was in, but Hellas would only fire it was set to On.

Am I overthinking this too much and have it right or am I missing something here?

Also, I couldn't find the right place for this... but I figured since a horn makes sound. Boom. Audio.

Last edited by elricfate; 11-03-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

75 views, no input.

It's fine. I'm just going to switch the ground on the Hellas with an SPST switch and run the relay using the OEM horn switch as if they should be always on. That should do what I want them to do.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why the need for different horn settings? Loud versus really loud, I'd pick really loud.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Scudzo
Why the need for different horn settings? Loud versus really loud, I'd pick really loud.
I try not to be a huge ahole all the time, only some of the time.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by elricfate
I try not to be a huge ahole all the time, only some of the time.
Funny. Sounds like you have it figured out. If you wanted to be a real ahole hook up a siren...
Old 11-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Funny. Sounds like you have it figured out. If you wanted to be a real ahole hook up a siren...
Since I'm no longer LE, that would bring about some issues. Although I *have* thought about hooking up a high wattage PA.