Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2016 Lariat S.Crew w/Sony System...UPGRADE TIME!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 Lariat S.Crew w/Sony System...UPGRADE TIME!

Hey there folks! Going to be upgrading the Sony system. I need a bit of information if you could assist. I have a few simple questions.

1. Is the Sync 3 headunits output powered or not (low level or high level), I would prefer to pull from the headunit if at all possible. If I need to pull off the Sony amp I could, but a processed signal into a signal processor is not ideal as it can get just messy.

2. Wiring harness? I have heard that there are a few harnesses out there
that can be used to assist in OEM integration on the headunit or Sony amp. Which ones would be of assistance to me?

The gear I will be installing is as follows:

Helix DSP
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
Hertz HSK165 XL (front stage)
JL C3-650 in coax format (rear stage)
JL 10 W3V3-4 (X2) under rear seats, custom box

Ultimately I would prefer to pull a clean signal from the headunit itself, however if it only has low level output it will not work with my DSP. Secondly I would like to keep all factory wiring harnesses in tact and in place, thus a harness or adapter/plug of some sorts would be of assistance here. Fill me in on what anyone has learned on the 2016's with Sony so I can gain more insight.....

Thanks!!~
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinity99
Hey there folks! Going to be upgrading the Sony system. I need a bit of information if you could assist. I have a few simple questions.

1. Is the Sync 3 headunits output powered or not (low level or high level), I would prefer to pull from the headunit if at all possible. If I need to pull off the Sony amp I could, but a processed signal into a signal processor is not ideal as it can get just messy.

2. Wiring harness? I have heard that there are a few harnesses out there
that can be used to assist in OEM integration on the headunit or Sony amp. Which ones would be of assistance to me?

The gear I will be installing is as follows:

Helix DSP
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
Hertz HSK165 XL (front stage)
JL C3-650 in coax format (rear stage)
JL 10 W3V3-4 (X2) under rear seats, custom box

Ultimately I would prefer to pull a clean signal from the headunit itself, however if it only has low level output it will not work with my DSP. Secondly I would like to keep all factory wiring harnesses in tact and in place, thus a harness or adapter/plug of some sorts would be of assistance here. Fill me in on what anyone has learned on the 2016's with Sony so I can gain more insight.....

Thanks!!~
I would do a search on here for people that have done a Sony upgrade.
You will need to keep the factory amp because it converts the digital signals that the factory HU puts out.
The factory amp also has all the cross overs for each speaker.
You will need to do is use the outputs from the factory amp (high level) into a DSP that combines all the factory signals and then into your Helix where they will be crossed over again before it goes to the amps
There has been a report of someone finding an aftermarket plug that can be used for the factory amp output. Don't know here he found them. Most people just cut the harness at the amp and use 9 wire from there to the maps and back again to the factory speaker wires.