Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Door access hole covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door access hole covers

So was thinking of learning to play with ABS, to make the door access hole covers for the front and rear doors of a 2018 SCREW 150, and have been doing research on the tools to use etc. I was wondering if anyone knows what the opening sizes are roughly to buy sheets of ABS to cover them? I know I could go large, but was hoping someone took a measurement of what they have done already and would not mind sharing.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Abs is usually sold in large sheets. It's significantly cheaper that way. Go to your local plastic supply and pick some up. Then measure your door opening. I don't have measurements. I used transfer paper and traced out the shape/size I needed along with bolt holes that avoid any modules or wiring. Then take that to the abs and trace it with a silver sharpie. Then grab your jig saw abs plastic blade and cut it out. Then I use my router table to smooth out all the edges. If you don't have a router, an orbital sander with 80 grit will do the job. Once you make the first one, the other side is even easier.

Hush Car Audio also sells them on this forum. He made mine for my front doors.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhmcfadin:
cboo85 (11-29-2018), HushCarAudio (11-27-2018), Wyo11Scab (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:21 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I buy sheets at my local industrial supplier. I used large transfer tape to outline the hole and then jigsaw to rough size on MDF as a template. I then clean up the edges with a sander for a nice clean curve. I then secure the template to the abs using double sided tape and use a flush trim bit on my router table for a clean finish. If you want to get fancy then edge it with a round over or chamfer bit. Once you locate the mounting holes, I use an insert nut tool and bolts. If you haven't cut with plastic material on the router be very careful. That stuff can run on you quickly.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
I buy sheets at my local industrial supplier. I used large transfer tape to outline the hole and then jigsaw to rough size on MDF as a template. I then clean up the edges with a sander for a nice clean curve. I then secure the template to the abs using double sided tape and use a flush trim bit on my router table for a clean finish. If you want to get fancy then edge it with a round over or chamfer bit. Once you locate the mounting holes, I use an insert nut tool and bolts. If you haven't cut with plastic material on the router be very careful. That stuff can run on you quickly.
Last part is serious!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM

thanks guys. Found a spot and ordered a sheet. Takes a few days to get it in, but will see how it goes. Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by r00tnix
thanks guys. Found a spot and ordered a sheet. Takes a few days to get it in, but will see how it goes. Thanks for the tips!
Here's the nut riveter I use. Does an excellent job and comes with some rivets to start you off. ABN Nut & Thread Hand Riveter 17-Piece Tool Kit Set - 13" Inch Rivet Setter Gun, Riveting Nuts, SAE & Metric Nose Sets
Amazon Amazon

I'd also recommend running some 1/2" weather strip around the perimeter of the panel to seal everything when you bolt it to the door.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM

Perfect, I bought the same Nut Riveter, but will get some weather stripping, thanks for that note. Was wondering between weather strip or the butyl rope? Any thoughts between them?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by r00tnix
Perfect, I bought the same Nut Riveter, but will get some weather stripping, thanks for that note. Was wondering between weather strip or the butyl rope? Any thoughts between them?
Both do the same job but butyl can be very messy. Weather strip won't melt and doesn't smell.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Good point. I will keep with the weather stripping.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,568 Posts

What ABS sheet thickness is recommended for making the covers for the door holes? Anyone use MDF to make them instead? MDF sealed with spray on bed liner material perhaps?

Quick Reply: Door access hole covers