Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

bass maybe a bit too punchy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Default bass maybe a bit too punchy?

You can see my build in my signature but to summarize components I have a fox box with 2 10" sundown e series subwoofers driven by a monstrous alpine pdx-m12 wired to a 4 ohm load. The output is just amazing with the combo but I find the bass to be very punchy. I prefer a more boomy bass, maybe deeper sounded and don't know what i can change up to help with this.

Could I stuff the box more? is this a function of downward facing subwoofers? I am the opposite of most bass people when I want more boom than punch. Would polyfill help? I might even pick up a second set of 10's say maybe alpine to see if the bass changes.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I have built a few subwoofers but by no means an expert. That looks like a nice box - I see it says it is tuned for 38Hz which should be great but also depends on the speakers. I always like to model the enclosure and speaker combo - there are several tools you can find on DIYCarAudio to help with that. You can get a good idea of what the combination should be doing and see if stuffing or even changing the port will make a difference . A simple thing to check is the setting on your subsonic filter - could be set too high.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

i have the same amp.. my subsonic filter is set at 35 as well.. i been thinking about taking it down a notch
Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
i have the same amp.. my subsonic filter is set at 35 as well.. i been thinking about taking it down a notch
35hz is pretty much standard - I doubt you will hear a difference going lower but easy enough to try.
The following users liked this post:
doug97gxe (02-05-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

For a boomy sound, 38 hz is a little high. Generally 38 hz is considered a great tune to get the output of a ported enclosure while still maintaining the responsive of a sealed enclosure. But 38hz can also sound really peaky with the incorrect filters applied. I personally have better luck with enclosures tuned a little lower. Also, enclosure size is going to play a huge role. A slightly larger enclosure with a slightly lower tune can change the output of a sub dramatically while still maintaining excellent responsiveness. But it does come at the cost of size of the enclosure.

Couple things you can do:

You can extend the port length.

You can add some polyfill mat or black hole tiles to the inside of the enclosure, (don't use standard poly fill, the air velocity with a ported enclosure will blow it all over the enclosure, potentially damaging your sub and will potentially blow the poly out of the port.

You can lower the highpass (sub sonic) filter and it will make a difference. BUT, you need to model the sub in winisd to make sure you don't push the mechanical xmax of the speaker. This is called bottoming out and can break the sub. I think I remember modeling this sub and your enclosure. I think I remember seeing that setting the highpass lower than 32 hz made the sub bottom out. But I am happy to model it again if you want me to.

Quick question, what is your low pass set as on your sub? What is your high pass set as on your mid bass?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions, much appreciate it!

The pioneer amp that plays my front/rear speakers is set to 80ish hz (hard to tell as its in the middle of a 60 to 125hz dial!

The alpine amp is set to 70hz and the subsonic filter is set to 15hz.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by supercanadian
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions, much appreciate it!

The pioneer amp that plays my front/rear speakers is set to 80ish hz (hard to tell as its in the middle of a 60 to 125hz dial!

The alpine amp is set to 70hz and the subsonic filter is set to 15hz.
It's gonna sound counter inuitive but try lowering your low pass filter to 60 hz. A sub has a lot more cone area than a normal speaker. It moves a lot more air than your door speakers so the crossover roll off is much less abrupt when talking about the frequency response of a sub. In other words, lowering the low pass will eliminate the peaky aspects and still blend perfectly with your midbass.

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

Been debating on what to do with my Fox Box set-up as well. Running two 10" 500rms RF HX2 DVC's and whereas they still hit pretty hard and look perfect they are rather old. Amp is also older, Eclipse 550rms 2channel 4ohm only. Just want more....
Old 02-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shane803
Been debating on what to do with my Fox Box set-up as well. Running two 10" 500rms RF HX2 DVC's and whereas they still hit pretty hard and look perfect they are rather old. Amp is also older, Eclipse 550rms 2channel 4ohm only. Just want more....
You could start by getting a more powerful amp. A true mono class d, 800-1500 watts would be perfect for both subs. That in itself would make a tremendous difference in output. Also, it's a great place to start because if you do end up replacing the sub, would have needed a more powerful sub amp anyways.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
You could start by getting a more powerful amp. A true mono class d, 800-1500 watts would be perfect for both subs. That in itself would make a tremendous difference in output. Also, it's a great place to start because if you do end up replacing the sub, would have needed a more powerful sub amp anyways.
Hell I thought this was a sufficient amp, it's huge and was a grand...back then...lol. I'll look into replacing it.

Quick Reply: bass maybe a bit too punchy?