Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Another help me build my sound system thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another help me build my sound system thread

Okay guys, I just traded up to a 2019 F150 XLT supercab with 302A package and Sync 3. The stock stereo sounds like trash and I need some help choosing upgrades and also with the installation as I'm not well versed in car audio. I want to keep full functionality of the stock HU and am basically looking to add some much needed bass and swap out the door speakers for better sound. I had originally been looking at the kicker soundstage system (I had the substage in my '13 screw) but for the price of that system I'm pretty sure I (we) can build something that sounds much better. I don't have a ton of money so my budget is going to be about $2K cdn or the same as the soundstage. Components need to be readily available at Canadian etailers as I would like to avoid expensive shipping, taxes and brokerage fees. I am open to building custom sub boxes and have most of the wood working tools and skills that I would need for the job. I would like to fit the subs under the rear seats, probably downfiring and there is not a whole lot of room for big subs. I'm not a huge bass head anyways, I listen mostly to rock and metal so I'm thinking about going with dual Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 shallow mount subs. Thoughts on this? I'm also unsure what speakers I should get for the doors, I'm pretty sure components are out of my budget range so should I be looking at 6x9's or 6.5's?

Here is the list of items I currently have saved to my wishlist @ crutchfield.ca. I am open to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance guys!

AudioControl LC7i $279.99 https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_161LC7I...C7i-Black.html
Alpine PDR-V75 $649.99 https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500PDRV...e-PDR-V75.html
Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 $219.99ea https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_575P3SD...e-P3SD2-8.html

Is this sound deadening mat any good?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00URUIKAK/?coliid=I132OJ2VQUP99B&colid=1J617FPV2EK4N&psc=0 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00URUIKAK/?coliid=I132OJ2VQUP99B&colid=1J617FPV2EK4N&psc=0
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Ditch the lc7i for the Dayton 408 dsp.

Any particular reason you are wanting an 8" sub?
The following users liked this post:
woodall01 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Any particular reason you are wanting an 8" sub?
Not really, would definitely consider a 10 or 10's if they fit under or behind the rear seat. There is not very much room under the seat in a supercab and I figured anything bigger than 8" would be too large.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM
'19 Lariat 3.5

Received 344 Likes on 217 Posts

In my 2004 SuperCab I ran a single Rockford Fosgate shallow 10" sub, with a box that came flush to the edge of the seat and it sounds good. In my 2019 Lariat SuperCrew I am going to run dual 10"s under the seat. I wouldnt go smaller than 10"
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

i would suggest a pair of normal 8s over a shallow mount. most 8s today only require around 0.3cf of airspace, and you can easily mount a pair under one side of the seat. i have a pair of jbl 8s in my scab and the enclosure is under the long side of the rear bench only, leaving me the passenger side to flip up if i ever need to.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Speakers are like tires...everyone has their favourites.

My favs are the JBL GTOs or the Infinity Kappas...both are made by Harmon.

They have a lower impedance (2 ohms) than a usual speaker which is 4 ohms...making them a great add on for vehicles if you don't want to add an amp.

I would start there and work your way up if you feel the need.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cazzo
My favs are the JBL GTOs or the Infinity Kappas...both are made by Harmon.

They have a lower impedance (2 ohms) than a usual speaker which is 4 ohms...making them a great add on for vehicles if you don't want to add an amp.
love harmon stuff too. great quality pieces.

one should be a little cautious when swapping out speakers and still using the factory headunit without using an amp. it was designed for a 4ohm load and could potentially get damaged when running a lower impedance.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
love harmon stuff too. great quality pieces.

one should be a little cautious when swapping out speakers and still using the factory headunit without using an amp. it was designed for a 4ohm load and could potentially get damaged when running a lower impedance.

Hmmm...tell me more. I ran these in my last truck with the "premium" Sony system and it seemed to work well...no amp.
The speakers I listed are advertised by the manufacturer as qualified swaps over factory speakers and they state the lower impedance makes them a good choice for factory systems without an amp given the smaller gauge wiring that factory uses.
I don't want to give wrong info...so let me know, thanks...I wasn't aware of this.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 PM

To give you guys an idea of the space restrictions under the rear seat in my supercab here is a pic. The red line is 30-36" long, the blue line is max height of 8.5", the green line is max height of 5.5" and the yellow line is 10" long. I have been playing with the box wizard @ https://rockfordfosgate.com/support/box-wizard/ trying come up with a wedge design that would work with a 10" sub. The 8.5" height restriction rules out a front firing 10" speaker and the 5.5" height at the back would be very tight for a downfiring 10" also. I could also remove the divider but the floor raises up almost 2" so the remaining 3.5" of clearance to the seat makes it almost pointless and I would prefer to keep the divider installed for storage.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=scar69;6168902]To give you guys an idea of the space restrictions under the rear seat in my supercab here is a pic. The red line is 30-36" long, the blue line is max height of 8.5", the green line is max height of 5.5" and the yellow line is 10" long. I have been playing with the box wizard @ https://rockfordfosgate.com/support/box-wizard/ trying come up with a wedge design that would work with a 10" sub. The 8.5" height restriction rules out a front firing 10" speaker and the 5.5" height at the back would be very tight for a downfiring 10" also. I could also remove the divider but the floor raises up almost 2" so the remaining 3.5" of clearance to the seat makes it almost pointless and I would prefer to keep the divider installed for storage.

I have a 2013 supercab so I know about there being limited underseat space. I have a design just about completed in Solidworks that uses a single full sized 10" sub. Hoping to get it cut out of 5/8" MDF using a CNC router and assembled in the next couple of weeks. If it works out I will happly share the files. My truck does not have the divider running across the width of the truck like yours does, which allows me to go with a downward firing design. The space gained by removing that divider might not seem like much but would likely allow you to do the same as me and move the speaker location a bit rearward as the cone/basket slopes some as well. My enclosure design also slopes outward slightly (1-2" as I recall) at the front (similar to the FoxBox design) for the same reason. The top of the enclosure will have a cutout for the magnet to stick out through slightly (again like the FoxBox) which is OK because the seat bottom is just cloth with some give to it. My plan is to thermoform a piece of ABS to cover that.

Last edited by Narly1; 04-17-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Another help me build my sound system thread