Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket Stereos Compatibility with Factory Installed Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereos Compatibility with Factory Installed Camera

Hello! I quickly searched through the forums for an answer and didn't find one, so my apologies if I have missed it.

I am looking to install a new stereo in my 2014 F150 XLT. It has Sync without MyFord Touch, so only the 4.2" display. The truck has the factory installed backup camera, and the rearview sensors.

Does anyone know if the camera would be compatible with an aftermarket stereo. I am looking to purchase a CarPlay/Android Auto compatible stereo (likely the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX), but I don't want to purchase a new camera or lose the backup sensor compatibility.

Anyone had any success with this, or could possibly share their thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

The backup sensors should work since it's a different system.

As far as using the OEM camera, I found This which had information on how to tap into the existing wire.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzz
The backup sensors should work since it's a different system.

As far as using the OEM camera, I found This which had information on how to tap into the existing wire.
Thanks for the link. I noticed that this is for rear view mirror cameras. Wondering if anyone has had any luck connecting to third party radios, where the camera was connected directly to the 4.2" display?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Use the Maestro unit and it will be plug n play for the camera. Easiest thing to do
Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by unclematt
Thanks for the link. I noticed that this is for rear view mirror cameras. Wondering if anyone has had any luck connecting to third party radios, where the camera was connected directly to the 4.2" display?
Source video is going to be the same regardless of being hooked up to the mirror or the 4.2" screen.

The only thing I could see is if for some reason by taking the 4.2 out it kills the power to the camera. I can't see them doing that, but you never know.

As for the Maestro, I just went through their configuration for the Pioneer mentioned and there is no confirmation it retains the camera. I also found on another forum were the 12V Guy said "PLEASE NOTE: We have nothing to do with the camera interface and this is NOT part of the Maestro installation." If I remember the 12V Guy is directly involved with iDatalink.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

12V Guy is correct. I have an XLT with no screen. I installed a DNX890 and wired the camera to it as in the link above. On my truck the video is there all the time. So I can use the 890 to see behind me at any time I want.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzz
Source video is going to be the same regardless of being hooked up to the mirror or the 4.2" screen.

The only thing I could see is if for some reason by taking the 4.2 out it kills the power to the camera. I can't see them doing that, but you never know.

As for the Maestro, I just went through their configuration for the Pioneer mentioned and there is no confirmation it retains the camera. I also found on another forum were the 12V Guy said "PLEASE NOTE: We have nothing to do with the camera interface and this is NOT part of the Maestro installation." If I remember the 12V Guy is directly involved with iDatalink.
As long as the HU is Maestro compatible then it will retain the camera. There is an optional cable for about 12 bucks. Search for 12V Guy on this forum for more info
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Both the sensors and camera will work. The radio will mute, and the sensors will beep like stock when in reverse. If new HU is installed properly. For the camera to display on your new HU, you just have to tap the right wire.

I dont know whag your color for the camera wire is on a 14. Both the oem camera, and backup sensors work fine with my Kenwood 892, in my 12 xlt.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
As long as the HU is Maestro compatible then it will retain the camera. There is an optional cable for about 12 bucks. Search for 12V Guy on this forum for more info
One would think if it did then why wouldn't their website say so? Seems like it would be a pretty common thing folks would want to do. Also Crutchfield of all places didn't even say it retained the camera.....

BUT.....

I did find this on Wyo's suggestion Link

So it looks like Maestro made their own kit for folks with the 4.3" screen, which as stated in his post does retain the factory camera. Also after reading his first post you may consider going with a Kenwood as there are more "extra" features gained over the Pioneer. It looks like Crutchfield carries the F150 Kit - Link and reading it's description it states it retains the factory backup camera.

Either way happy to be wrongish on this stuff and then able to provide a solid answer with everyone's help. This is what forums are made for!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Fritzz:
unclematt (04-28-2016), Wyo11Scab (04-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereos Compatibility with Factory Installed Camera