Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!

Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount?

I'm installing the PAC dash kit and a Kenwood GPS head unit over the weekend and think that I have everything sorted save for where to mount the new GPS antenna.

I've read that some folks have mounted it beneath the center dash, which seems like a logical choice.

I was poking around there yesterday and noticed that Ford beat me to it.

Even though I'm removing the Sync module and rendering the Voice assist and accident notification feature useless, I understand that I'd lose the compass feature if I removed the factory GPS module.

Since the center speaker will be useless, I'm thinking about removing it and fabricating a simple "plate" to cover the void and mount the new antenna there.

Think there's be any interference issues with two GPS antennas being in such close proximity? I suspect not, but then again I haven't tried it before.

Any other good hidden locations?
longbedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbedbob View Post
I'm installing the PAC dash kit and a Kenwood GPS head unit over the weekend and think that I have everything sorted save for where to mount the new GPS antenna.

I've read that some folks have mounted it beneath the center dash, which seems like a logical choice.

I was poking around there yesterday and noticed that Ford beat me to it.

Even though I'm removing the Sync module and rendering the Voice assist and accident notification feature useless, I understand that I'd lose the compass feature if I removed the factory GPS module.

Since the center speaker will be useless, I'm thinking about removing it and fabricating a simple "plate" to cover the void and mount the new antenna there.

Think there's be any interference issues with two GPS antennas being in such close proximity? I suspect not, but then again I haven't tried it before.

Any other good hidden locations?
The vacant speaker is a great spot
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo11Scab For This Useful Post:
longbedbob (10-20-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #3

Simple solution to mount it where the center speaker once was...

1. Take the plastic tray that's left over from the PAC dash kit. It's a storage pocket that's used to fill the gap for single DIN installations. Since I went with a double DIN unit, I didn't need it.

2. Using a Dremmel or other tool, remove either the top or bottom of the plastic tray.

3. Flip the dash tray/speaker mount over and screw the newly created plastic "shelf" onto the plastic "nubs" where the center speaker was fastened.

With some measuring, a calibrated Dremmel hand, and the right fasteners it has the potential to look 100% factory.

I have a ways to go....
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount?-gpsmount1.jpg   Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount?-gpsmount2.jpg   Aftermarket GPS antenna....where to mount?-gpsmount3.jpg  
longbedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

I mounted mine to the black gps module in front of the speaker. No problems with signal or compass bearings.
Jethro1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jethro1972 For This Useful Post:
longbedbob (10-24-2017)